Broken case kicker side

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
riverman

Broken case kicker side

Post by riverman »

Had not been on the bike for a while. Decide to take a blast . Put in a new plug mixed up fresh gas. Kicked and kicked finally a little hit then boom a big back fire and the kicker is hanging out of the case. Both the outer and inner case broke. Pushed it back in the shop and walked away. I let it sit a couple months. Decide it time to fix it. Started to pull the engine Get to the wiring and stator side and find the 3 screws that hold the stator to the timing plate are broken off. The stator is just lying in the fly wheel. When I built the bike I used the 250 ignition set up. Has anyone else seen this problem. I;m a blue Loctite freak on these things so I know the screws did not come loose, I can't get the pieces out of the timing plate. I think I'm going back with the 500 stuff. Has anyone ever welded these cases?
Jeff4510

Re: Broken case kicker side

Post by Jeff4510 »

riverman wrote:Had not been on the bike for a while. Decide to take a blast . Put in a new plug mixed up fresh gas. Kicked and kicked finally a little hit then boom a big back fire and the kicker is hanging out of the case. Both the outer and inner case broke. Pushed it back in the shop and walked away. I let it sit a couple months. Decide it time to fix it. Started to pull the engine Get to the wiring and stator side and find the 3 screws that hold the stator to the timing plate are broken off. The stator is just lying in the fly wheel. When I built the bike I used the 250 ignition set up. Has anyone else seen this problem. I;m a blue Loctite freak on these things so I know the screws did not come loose, I can't get the pieces out of the timing plate. I think I'm going back with the 500 stuff. Has anyone ever welded these cases?
I welded and reinforced my cases and it blew right through them again. I have the service Honda setup though. I'd like to hear more about your 250 ignition (year, ease of swap) as I need to make some changes
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I roostie and others have welded cases.
I know I hear quite a bit about broken cases from the kicker, seems like it usually happens after a rebuild, I always wonder if it has something to do with the clocking of the mechanism? it should be the foot peg stopping the kicker and not the inside of the case, this is something I would be looking at but maybe it is just a weak link in the 500 design?
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

Kuma wrote:I roostie and others have welded cases.
I know I hear quite a bit about broken cases from the kicker, seems like it usually happens after a rebuild, I always wonder if it has something to do with the clocking of the mechanism? it should be the foot peg stopping the kicker and not the inside of the case, this is something I would be looking at but maybe it is just a weak link in the 500 design?
Ya, the 500 is notorious for that. The cases are pretty weak in that area, coupled with the press fit countershaft bearing. The best way to avoid problems is to have a good starting routine. The less you have to kick, the better. I put mine in 2nd and rock it back and forth a few times, bring it just past top dead and kick.......one hit wonder everytime. Over time I've noticed that the bearing on the right side eventually comes loose, and the bearing will spin in the case. Most people put the green snot in to "glue" the bearing in place. I went with a kawasaki bearing and made a retainer plate held in place by 3 4mm flathead screws. I also shim my countershafts for a minimum amount of clearance. That helps reduce the chance of the case getting a hairline crack in that area due the shafts and bearing movement
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
Sandblaster

Post by Sandblaster »

Oh yeah! :cool:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

That would be a good fix. Just add wallet
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"