84 cylinder on 85 bottom

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
mtf

84 cylinder on 85 bottom

Post by mtf »

IS it a direct fit to put an 84 cylinder on an 85 bottom? I don't have a 84 cylinder so I can't check myself. I have an 85 bottom and I've seen some cylinders on ebay. I race go karts and if I had an air cooled motor I could change the motor back and forth on my kart that normally has a regular air cooled kart racing motor without having to deal with adding radiators. the motor wouldn't stay on the kart and that's why I don't want the radiator mounts and stuff. Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere I've looked in the stickies but I didn't find anything other than Roostie saying that it has been done before.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

It'll bolt on no problem, the exhaust flange bolt pattern is different so you'd almost need to have an 84 flange and weld a sleeve to it so its up to the OD of the later models unless you do a dedicated pipe.
Otherwise on an 85-86 engine its a direct fit.
mtf

Post by mtf »

Thanks Adam. Do you see any obvius to you rreason I shouldn't do it? I mean if it's a mistake to do it I'd rather know before I do it. I like short track racing and I guess torque is what I'm after you know pull up out of the corner rather than big end power. I going to have to get a cylinder either way and I have a mid eighties champ kart put up and an air cooled motor would be really cool on it but only if it has potential to win. Nothing looks good running in the back.