CRF450 to CR500 radiator hose issues

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
vito.a

CRF450 to CR500 radiator hose issues

Post by vito.a »

We just tried to connect the radiator hoses and I have some issues. My chassis is a 2007 CRF450R.

I welded a new outlet on the bottom of the right radiator that goes to the engine water pump. It works fine.
I also welded a new 90 degree downward inlet to the top of the right radiator for the right cylinder head cooling hose. That works fine.
The CRF450 has a crossover hose on the top of both radiators. The original CRF450 hose works fine there.

Now the problems:
1. The CRF450 left radiator has a hose outlet on the bottom left but no matching inlet on the bottom right radiator. The original CRF450 bottom left hose angles slightly downward and went into a 3-way fitting instead of crossing over to the right radiator.

2. The original CRF450 upper left radiator hose 90 degree inlet is a slightly larger size and the CR500 hose that comes from the left side cylinder head will not go over the CRF450 radiator fitting.

Does someone sell the 90 degree aluminum hose bib fittings I can weld to the left radiator without having to sacrifice another radiator?
How did you guys tackle these issues?
vito.a

Post by vito.a »

My solution to the radiator hose mismatch between the CRF and the CR500 was to add 5/8” dia 90 degree hose fittings to both the upper and lower tanks on both sides. The left tank has 90 degree fittings on both upper and lower, but the upper one is too large and the lower one points down.

I cut both of these off and reused the lower one, but pointed it slightly up and right. I added a 5/8” dia hose fitting to the top tank pointing directly down.

On the upper right side radiator tank I added a 90 degree hose fitting pointing down and a 90 degree hose fitting pointing left to the lower tank. The right lower tank also needs a larger size fitting added pointing to the water pump inlet (this is the primary return to the water pump).

The two cylinder head water outlets connect to the two upper 90 degree hose fittings. The two lower 90 degree fittings (left and right) are connected with a 10” long, 5/8” dia heater hose.

I had already added two new fittings to my radiators before I understood the issue, so I just added two more. A much easier method would be to purchase two new Chinese radiators made to fit. Chinese Tony has them for about $120 per pair.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Can you point me in the direction to get ahold of Chinese Tony for a set made to fit a crf?