Newbie from Australia, Gen 4 mod coming soon!

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
Trough Lolly

Newbie from Australia, Gen 4 mod coming soon!

Post by Trough Lolly »

Hey guys,
Another filthy Aussie here!

Hitting the AF conversion pretty soon, Owned my 96' 500 since 04' and love the fucker to death, HATE 4 strokes with a passion.

Flipped it pretty badly a few years back, mangled the subframe and exhaust so it sat in the shed collecting spiders, always wanted to AF it, then thought stuff it why not.

Came across a gen 4 250x with a blown engine and snapped it up for a cheap price!

Done ALOT of reading on here about all different gen4 builds and decided to go for the CP500 ebay conversion kit, the kit seems pretty good, but i will "add-on" to their headstay brackets for further strength.

im not sparing any dollars on this bike, every single bearing, plastic, sticker will be brand new , been dreaming of this for a long time so why not do it how i want my dream machine to be!

just a note on the gen4 tanks, Im not keen on heating the tank and reducing my fuel capacity, as I do long trail rides and already carry a 5L can of fuel in my backpack.
Has anybody removed the petcock assembly from the center of the tank then plastic welded the holes up, and moved it to the left hand side of the tank like 99% of other bikes??
Im hoping to try this to keep all available fuel capacity.

Other than that, Once completed will have all the suspension done by Chads offroad in Geelong, also read that fat bastards like myself tend to run a thicker rear coil spring, can also fould on the rear of the engine so the engine casings need to be "smoothed down" to create clearance?? This doesnt sound good... I rang chads suspension and he said that "Eibach" brand springs run a thinner gauge coil than most brands, so will definately be going that route.

The engine is probably only 15hrs old so ill just pull the carb apart and give it a once over, maybe clean the casings up a bit get rid of the boot scuffing.

If any other aussies wanna call or bounce some ideas off me, by all means PM me and we will have a chat on the phone or something?

seen a few nice Aussie AF's on here!

until the conversion begins in a month or 2, hope to learn as much as I can from you guys and ill create a build thread with heaps of pics and details, after al thats what forums like this are all about!
Customising bikes like this isnt something u can learn from a dealership, forums are our only means of research!!

Cheers Guys!
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

welcome aboard mate
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee