85 motor in 94 frame?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
jeffatc250r

85 motor in 94 frame?

Post by jeffatc250r »

My 94' snapped the case at the kicker shaft boss on the r-s inner case. I dont have a spare case and i havent been able to locate any at a reasonable price yet. Its mint weather and i typically use this bike daily on the road. I have a fresh 85 motor and elecs sitting in my closet. Is it worth friggin around tryin to put it in my bike till i find a case? I know im gonna have to dick with the coolant lines, anything else i need to worry about? Would exh be an issue?
Any input would be appreciated from someone thats already been there, hopefully save myself some aggrivation.
hoofarted

Re: 85 motor in 94 frame?

Post by hoofarted »

jeffatc250r wrote:My 94' snapped the case at the kicker shaft boss on the r-s inner case. I dont have a spare case and i havent been able to locate any at a reasonable price yet. Its mint weather and i typically use this bike daily on the road. I have a fresh 85 motor and elecs sitting in my closet. Is it worth friggin around tryin to put it in my bike till i find a case? I know im gonna have to dick with the coolant lines, anything else i need to worry about? Would exh be an issue?
Any input would be appreciated from someone thats already been there, hopefully save myself some aggrivation.
I think coolant lines and swing arm bushings are your only concerns. IIRC the bushings were a different diameter 85-89. Exhaust should be fine.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

jeffatc250r

Post by jeffatc250r »

Hmmm, wonder if the OD of the bushings are the same, maybe just swap it out.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

They aren't the same o.d. You have to drill out the cases.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
jeffatc250r

Post by jeffatc250r »

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I really dont wanna go modifying the 85 motor, guess ill have to just wait until i can find myself a case for my 94'
Anyone gots one for sale?!
davidonmars

Post by davidonmars »

take the case bushings out and have them put in a lathe and opened up some. that way you can always throw another set in to run in older chassis
Kuma

Re: 85 motor in 94 frame?

Post by Kuma »

jeffatc250r wrote:My 94' snapped the case at the kicker shaft boss on the r-s inner case. I dont have a spare case and i havent been able to locate any at a reasonable price yet. Its mint weather and i typically use this bike daily on the road. I have a fresh 85 motor and elecs sitting in my closet. Is it worth friggin around tryin to put it in my bike till i find a case? I know im gonna have to dick with the coolant lines, anything else i need to worry about? Would exh be an issue?
Check the condition of your water pump or after doing all the work you may find yourself in the same boat
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
other

Post by other »

davidonmars wrote:take the case bushings out and have them put in a lathe and opened up some. that way you can always throw another set in to run in older chassis
They are as hard as fuck, you need tungsten carbide tools, or better, to even scratch them.
Might be better to just have stainless ones made, and make a spare pair for when they eventually wear . . . cheaper and easier all round.
o.t.h.e.r . . . . .Over The Hill Enduro Rider
lms1977

Post by lms1977 »

I had to open my 87 case bushings for the 95 roller I put it in there.. I put mine in a lathe to bore id they are pretty hard. It would be easy enough to just make new ones thou if you have access to a lathe.