hard starting

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
JasonB

hard starting

Post by JasonB »

new to me cr500 engine, just installed in my bike. It is a PITA to start. Fires right up when pull started. Last night i was able to kick it over but it took me an hour of cursing and kicking. I tried rocking it in gear like i have seen done online and it fired right up after that. I went home to mess with it today and it started right up after rocking it in gear but the petcock was off and it died and I couldn’t get it restarted after that.

88 cr500 motor
39pwk with 55 pilot and 175 main and DGN needle
air screw 1.5 turns out, slide dropped all the way down.
40;1 klotz with 93 pump gas
Decomp head with squish mod
br8es .20 gap

Bike has PLENTY of compression. I have only about a year of true experience playing with 2 strokes and learning how to make them happy, but only with 250’s. This is my first 500. Anyways, it fires right up when pull started and today actually fired up after the rocking in gear start procedure but after it died from no gas and then refused to restart.

Pulled plug last night when I was trouble shooting why it wouldn’t start. It doesn’t seem to have a real strong spark, like the motor has to have the shit kicked out of it and even then is still not a strong spark. New plug, new cap. When its kicking over and my hand is over the carb it only sucks; it doesn’t push air out which I think means the reeds are still good. Doesn’t start when I spray starter fluid in there either, ever. I know im missing stuff but that’s the best I can remember. Why is this thing a bitch to start?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

try a 45 pilot, and set the pickup coil 8 thou from the tab on the flywheel

trust me
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Was out kicking on it and the pwk starts dumping fuel on the ground. Didnt stop so I just shut the petcock and pushed it inside. So frustrated over this bike right now. That a sticking float valve or a bad petcock?

I started w a 45 pilot and after starting it idled super high. It has run fine after starting w the 55. How do I set the pick up coil?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

pull the flywheel cover, it should be pretty self explanatory
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Took me a minute to understand what you meant. I pulled the cover and did that, howevr I didn't measure before I loosened the pickup and it pulled it closer to the tab before I gapped it so I don't know how much clearance stock is.

So I got it to where I could kick it and it's getting good spark now and I pulled the reed cage out and flipped the reeds; I can see the SLIGHTEST bit of light between the cage and the reeds so I'm ordering a new set of boysen reeds.

Here's the weird part, I was kicking it with the choke on throttle closed and decomp open. Bike would fire and run for just over ONE SECOND like 10times in a row. Why would it do this!? I can see fuel in the gas line to the carb, I pulled the plug three times to confirm strong spark. Why will it want to start and run for just over a second and shut off?
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

went home and swapped out to a 45 pilot on my lunch break, that didnt change anything. I can get a good solid kick in and it will just fire over and run for about one second and shut right back off. so it wants to run but not for long. filled tank, petcock flows strong, tank lid is not clogged either.

what would make this engine start up and shut right back off? it gets a solid 10-20 fires/rotations of the motor each time, so its starting to run just want stay running. wtf
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Started and ran after the first kick when I swapped to a new plug. Rode around the block and a coolant hose popped off pretty violently and the engine revved up simultaneously. So I ended up pulling the head and sure enough there was a leak. I reinstalled everything and will see how it does tomorrow. Hopefully this explains the issues I've been having
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Head and gasket have been reinstalled three times and it continues to pressurize the coolant system. I am almost certain it is leaking on top side of the gasket on the side opposite the decomp valve. I grease threads and torque in three step sequence to 20 ft lbs. using a Honda head gasket and everything and am certain the gasket is sitting flush on the deck. It wont stop leaking and I am losing patience with this situation
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Have you checked the flatness of the head and cylinder?
Who did your decomp head? it's possible they have a pathway to the water jacket.
Also when you say the head and gasket have been reinstalled, are you using a new gasket each time?
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Seanmx57 did the decomp, Roosty had to do some welding on it to fix a hole from a decomp that was originally run through the top of the dome. Theres a post about the head further down in this subforum if you look from about 3 weeks ago. The motor ran without leaks before this head was installed, and I used the same gasket all three times. First time I installed it dry, the two times after that I installed it with permatex copper gasket spray. Yes I have read mixed reviews about the spray but it was recomended for the second use of a gasket. It is the 90+ single layer metal head gasket from honda.
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

Kuma wrote:Have you checked the flatness of the head and cylinder?
Who did your decomp head? it's possible they have a pathway to the water jacket.
Also when you say the head and gasket have been reinstalled, are you using a new gasket each time?
check the head flatness x2
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Honda headgaskets dont leak.... Throw the head through seans window, with a note attached asking for a full refund + shipping.
louis mielke

Post by louis mielke »

x491
AlisoBob wrote:Honda headgaskets dont leak.... Throw the head through seans window, with a note attached asking for a full refund + shipping.
"Don't worry, it will grow back!"
B440

Post by B440 »

:bonk:
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

sean is sending me another decomp head that doesnt have the dome cut on it. waiting to see how it works. 7 days out from the ride I built this bike for, hoping this remedies my issues. FUCK
ATC500R
ATC310R
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Installed the head and the bike doesn't leak at all. Runs like it fucking should. Need to figure out what I'm missing with not havin the squish band mod done to this head, other wise it runs and there's no god damned leaks. 2 weeks of stressing over why it won't run right and keeps shitting coolant everywhere. Thanks for all the help guys, and the input on that shit head in the first place.
ATC500R
ATC310R