What does Kickback mean when Kickstarting?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Okotokian

What does Kickback mean when Kickstarting?

Post by Okotokian »

So I've purchased this new conversion but never have been able to kick-start the engine and looking for some new opinions. (I can only get engine running by push starting down the hill and it will run normal except from idle to 1/8 throttle where it either 1/Dies 2/Bogs over 10 secs 3/ Delay off idle then Surges). It has 1 hr of run-time on a completely rebuilt engine all related parts.
It will idle best with a 55 pilot but will idle with a 42 or 58 as well and little response from the air screw on all pilots.
Skip the questions about the programmable CR250 ignition for now as everything but the CDI has been completely changed out trying to solve this.
I've tried every pilot jet from 40 to 60 with multiple air screw setting and what does happen is I get huge kick back from the kick-starter, I have to wear knee pads as it will drive my leg right into the bars with the de-compressor open.
I've retarded the timing using the CR250 plate to the '4' mark from the '2' mark thinking it would help with preventing the engine from rotating backwards? and get more kickback almost every kick start attempt. It will not fire even when it doesn't kick back.
Any useful technical assistance is appreciated.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Sounds like the timing is off, that would possibly cause the kickback and would also effect the idle.
if it is just the carb and you are not able to make a change with the air screw, then if you have a PJ the idle adjustment (Choke) may be too open. if PKW then the slide may be cracked open too much for the air screw to function.
I could be totally off on this and I'm sure if I am someone here will correct me :chair:
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If it's timing and you don't understand how that could be, check your flywheel to make sure you didn't shear a key
Okotokian

Post by Okotokian »

Some of the guys at the other site think it might be a bad CDI or woodruff key like you mentioned.
The woodruff key is good, checked.
Carb is 38mm pwk with throttle position sensor which somehow talks to the programmable map in the cdi. Carb has been torn down and checked.
By replacing all the ignition parts the bike actually kicks back even more than the ignition parts the bike came with.
2004 Honda CR500AFC MRE (Current)
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
2010 Honda CRF100 (Girlfriends ride)
2001 CR500AFC (sold it back builder)
2003 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I would plug in some known good ignition components and try to narrow down the problem, see if there are some other hoons in your area.