CLOSE RATIO GEARBOX

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
ozidirttracker65

CLOSE RATIO GEARBOX

Post by ozidirttracker65 »

hi,first up congratulations on a great website,awsome,, :twisted: ..im hoping someone can help,a friend of mine purchased what he thought was a service honda from a guy named ED HOVAN over there in the states(im in australia),after months of getting mucked around he finally got his bike,,he was totallaLy ripped off,OVER $16000 AND BIKE HAS SECOND HAND WHEELS,LEAVERS,BARS,ENGINE ETC,,the engine ((1991 model)) is supposed to be the engine that has won the pikes peak event by dave durelle in the past,when he rode the bike it was jumping in and out of gears and getting neutral between 3-4 gear,,he has pulled the engine down but its supposed to have a custom close ratio gearbox in it,does anybody know what gearbox parts are used to make these close ratio boxes,nothin seems to match up and he getting no help from the guy he bought the bike from or service honda,,any help would be greatly appreciated,,cheers
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

1991 had close ratio gear box stock, sucks he got hosed.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

stating the obvious but thats a worn motor in need of some TLC. Close ratio boxes were standard issue from Honda 89-91 if i remember rightly. 91 up was wide ratio. Sounds like the only custom work on that bike will be the rebuild your mate will be doing. :bash:
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

Close ratio was 87-92!!!! have him check the shifter forks?????
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

The guy that ripped him off has burned me as well,

I suggest your friend contact service honda and take the matter up with AJ, him and ed are buddies.

At least AJ will make real efforts to make customers happy, Ed bend people over and give it to em dry

Regarding the tranny. the only difference between the motor that is supposed to be in that bike and the 91 is 4'th and 5'th gear ratios. The ones he has are for MX and closer ratio, less top speed but it pulls harder in 5'th