CRE500 RVD

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
mr500

CRE500 RVD

Post by mr500 »

This is the Road Vehicle Descriptor (RVD) for the aussie 2002 CRE500
Notice the power 8.1KW, how choked up are these to get them to meet ADR's (Australian design rules).

Keep it real, Keep it steel.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

looks to be rated for that power at 3500rpm
mr500

Post by mr500 »

Or 11.4hp of tarmac tearing power.. :shock:
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

ya, wondered about that :lol:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

maybe the are using service honda jetting, then 11hp would be optimistic, and it wouldnt rev past 3500 :lol:
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

These are the things I found in mine:

One reed petal, replaced by a 1.55mm thick metal plate - not, a metal reed.

A washer, tack welded into the header / ex manifold (can't remember which), that has a 17mm center hole/

A throttle restrictor 26.5mm long - giving, I assume, 11.5mm of throttle opening.

A long muffler, much like std CR500 ones, but with the final perforated tubing having an ID of 20mm. The first section, being the std 32mm / 1 1/4", then a chamber, then the 290mm length of 20mm ID perf. This, I occasionally use, when I'm going into rarely used, very, very, very tight areas nearby - with houses right there, in the bush, a few feet away. They are going to burn baby burn, the next big bushfire here - crazy places to put houses. You're lucky to get off the pilot jet, and No One, can hear me. Just don't get stuck, and load up the engine, as the resultant exhaust cloud, can have fearful residents ringing the Fire Dept.:cool:

Full lighting set up, HM lighting stator ( = E Line - though, those were made by HM, to my knowledge. Kevin Hines started racing and importing HMs to the states, and, I think, owned / owns E Line), blinkers, horn, reflectors, ADR approved tyres, chain guards, side stand switch. Road gearing - but you got all your standard parts, and the CR spares kit, other than the standard muffler (which I managed to get, though). The carb was fitted with standard CR500 jetting. Strangely, no battery, for lights on when the engine is off. So much for 'learners ' safety when they'd stall the 500 in traffic, at night............

Apparently, 200 came here. I'm a bit doubtful about that. Though, they did take a few years to sell all of them - I got mine in mid 2003. 2 CREs were sold at my local shop. Mine, I Never rode like that - I wish I did, it would have been hilarious - it went into straight into my rental flat on the end of my house, and was torn down. Everything, other than the cases being split, before turning a wheel under it's own power - CREs were the ultimately Friday Arvo assembly bikes. The other was used by a bloke commuting from Katoomba to Parramatta - about 80 /90 ks each way. What a bloody misery that would have been............ The shop tried Everything they could to get him on something other than the CRE. He then, bitched to them about the bike, for the next few months. It finally went to a good home.

I think the 3500 rpm was through requirements for testing to be at what was 50% of manufacturers stated maximum revs. It would have struggled to get to 3500rpm, I think. You'll see that it's Not Honda Australia as the manufacturer / licensee. CRE Australia, being a 'manufacturer / licensee', in that I think, John Redding, the head of KTM years ago, when Bert Floods were the importers of KTM, has / had a company that would set up so many 'special' regos. I think you'd find on the compliance plates, for the YZWR 2ts, when they existed, something like YZWR Australia, and the same on many other small volume, registered bikes - from various manufacturers. Especially if the bike was previously imported as a non ADR'd bike. Once they come in as that, 'It', has to be presented as 'another' bike entirely. It's also why you'd see, on the Woody's Motorcycles Wyong CRs, WMW as the manufacturer on the compliance plate, to my recollection.

The CRE500s, qualified as Learner Legal bikes - power to weight, was easily below that required for Learner Approval. :roll:
Last edited by bearorso on June 19th, 2012, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
B440

Post by B440 »

Hey bearorso, can you post some pictures of the long quiet muffler, both the external and internals? I don't think we have anything like that in the USA, but I could build it if I had a few pics.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

B440 wrote:Hey bearorso, can you post some pictures of the long quiet muffler, both the external and internals? I don't think we have anything like that in the USA, but I could build it if I had a few pics.
It is essentially the same as the std late model CR500 muffler. Made by HM, but not 'fancy' in any way. 1st section after external stinger in 32mm perf, then a chamber (as the std CR500 had), then just the 20mm ID perf. section. Perf , of course, with packing around it. If you have the std 500 muffler , you could just put a smaller core in the last section. Mind you, a well packed, std. late model CR500 muffler, is pretty good with noise. Other than when you pin it. Still, much quieter than the typical 4t MXer. 500s though, are producing relatively low frequency noises, for a 2t, that can carry much further, like 4ts do.

I've the muffler here, as I got it with a spares kit from a bloke that had his CRE stolen, and I made a short muffler from the original quiet one, so I have the 20mm perf section from that. Nothing remarkable about any of that. But, I can take a picture of them - but, I'm a bastard, I'm Not pulling the muffler apart - I hate re-packing mufflers, and do it only when it's due, which is far too often. And, that one, with only rare use, will be a while till it needs re-packing. But, as I said - there's nothing remarkable about any of the muffler externals, or internals.

I use 2 other mufflers - both, long, Straight ones. Both, are a bit (a lot) ridiculous looking :). One, is huge , oval bodied, with thick walls, 2 Ex 4t bodies welded together that I've used for it's heavy duty features - I regulary 'jump ship', and let my bike tumble off a precipice. I have the first 305mm of the perf. core in 32mm, then the next 305mm in 28.6mm core. I also use, for racing, riding where I want both a legal sound level, and much lighter weight, a 75mm O.D., thin walled, round muffler, with all 600mm of perf. core being 32mm. These, I make myself. Both, are very quiet, but work very , very well. As their overall length, including the external stinger, is equal to the overall external stinger and perf. core length of the std muffler. I Never use the shortened muffler, nor an FMF Power Core 2 I also have - I find absolutely no benefit in using them, and far too much bloody noise, for both my riding areas, and for me myself. I HATE, loud bikes, of any type.

I'll be making a muffler, that does not need packing, later in the year - purely mechanical baffling. I've got together with a mate who's a thermodynamics engineer, and done some research, and we are confident that we can do a muffler, that still provides the stinger effect, that will not harm the power , whilst being a near zero maintenance item. All stainless internals, and lite weight. Plus, able to be much shorter than quiet, absorption / packing mufflers.
B440

Post by B440 »

bearorso wrote:I'll be making a muffler, that does not need packing, later in the year - purely mechanical baffling. I've got together with a mate who's a thermodynamics engineer, and done some research, and we are confident that we can do a muffler, that still provides the stinger effect, that will not harm the power , whilst being a near zero maintenance item. All stainless internals, and lite weight. Plus, able to be much shorter than quiet, absorption / packing mufflers.
I'll be wanting one of those, so make at least two please, seriously.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

I'll be making a muffler, that does not need packing, later in the year - purely mechanical baffling
good luck
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish