714's 08 CRF250-500 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

And here she is...
[imgImage[/img]
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

Looks real good. Do you have any more pictures of you pipe to motor clearance? Im having a bit of trouble with m ine. Thanks
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Zacko... where exactly are you needing the clearance pics?? I can take a bunch and email them if you want.
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

Well i was having trouble with the coolant hose to the back of the head. There is no way I could route it to fit. But Im just gonna have to swap to the newer style one where the outlet is straight up. Only problem is Honda is backordered until the middle of september, and I cant seem to locate a used one. Thanks though. I appreciate it.
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Well its been several good rides at Cycle Ranch and not a single hiccup... This thing works well. I wish I could stop riding her like my 450 and remember what a 2 stroke is supposed to be like....lol This thing flat hauls ass. On the big loamy uphill at the Ranch, I pull 3-4 lengths on all the 450's But since the clutch pull is double the 450, Im getting serious arm pump on the left!! Hydraulic clutch in my future.. Anyone run the Rekluse like SeanMX?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The stock CR500 clutch pull is pretty easy if the cable and lifter pivot is in good shape.

When I ran a cable, I had a lever with a roller bearing in it, good cable, and new lifter.

It pulled easy-peasy....

http://www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-parts- ... ment-lever
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

You must be doing something wrong, never heard of anyone getting arm pump on a CR5 :D

Eat your wheaties.

30 day $$ back guarantee on dem clutches. Lot of peeps thing they are gay. Freakin things rule for MX and ST when set up right.
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

I swapped the short ASV levers I had on it, for the pro series longer levers I had on my 450... Made a world of difference on the clutch pull. Thanks guys
[imgImage[/img]
AMA714

Fuel tank

Post by AMA714 »

I forgot to document what I did for the tank.... sorry Bob... lol

In case anyone was curious, I used the stock CRF250R tank. Took the cap off, set it upside down on a stand and proceeded to heat the crap out of it with a heat gun. Concentrating on the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. After 3-4 minutes you can see a color flash move across the plastic.

I took the handle end of a hammer and pushed the hump in. The tank wanted to move back to its existing shape, so i re heated one side, pushed and held it in position while it cooled. then moved to the other side.

While I was pushing on the fuel spigot side, the seem split open!!! I thought I had ruined the tank. I applied more heat and was able to reseal and actually overlap more plastic where it split. As it turned out, the side I split looks better than the side that was just melted. I had some Heat tape in the shop, so i covered the bottom of tank just for looks.

I pressure tested the tank and filled with gas. 2 months, several tanks of fuel and NO leaks! I have clearance for a standard BR series plug.

[imgImage[/img]
mxdogger

Post by mxdogger »

Looks really nice man, good job on the small stuff. I havent had time to do all the research to make the newer 06-09 crf250 subframe to work.

I would recommend anyone doing a crf250 conversion use the 04-05 crf250 subframe and parts, also the 04-09 crf250 X SUBFRAME will work as it is the same as the R model only it has all the extra brackets the x model needs. :cool:
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Thanks Dogger, your rails are top notch btw.... The conversion of the newer style airbox/sub frame is not much different from the others. Just different mounting points and the face of the airbox is shorter.

mid pipe mount
[imgImage

rear silencer brackets
[/imgImage
keysey

Post by keysey »

Hi, Just wondering what model airbox boot you used for the 08 and where you got the red rubber mount for the exhaust mid mount point?
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

I think the airboot was 1998 CR250 and the red rubber is a piece I cut off the end of my coolant hose. I added it to a stock Honda rubber grommet to add some thickness.
BBA

pc platinum pipe gaurd

Post by BBA »

does anyone know where to get gaurd that will fit a pc platinum pipe? would love to find a carbon fiber? no luck so far?
BBA

pc platinum pipe gaurd

Post by BBA »

does anyone know where to get gaurd that will fit a pc platinum pipe? would love to find a carbon fiber? no luck so far? doind crf 250 06 conversion. sold yz 250 and got a roller. Want to protect this pipe if im riding in the desert...
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Not sure what type of pipe guard you are after, but e-line did make a carbon fiber guard for the 500 at one point.
BBA

Post by BBA »

i have checked e-lines web site and they dont make anymore. i went with a richocet universal. it aluminum so i will just polish it so it looks alittle better. its the fish bone look...not a major fan of that look but i dont want to dent this pipe up with rocks from the desert....it used to only go in the sand... :cool:
CR500!
If you understand
Well then
You understand
:)