93-96 CR250 Lighting Coil Not Igniting Fuel

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
B440

93-96 CR250 Lighting Coil Not Igniting Fuel

Post by B440 »

I have a 94 CR250 complete ignition and it works great. Next I bought a lighting coil from Procycle and for the life of me I cannot get the bike to fire with it installed.

Gap is set correctly on the flywheel pickup.
Carb is clean and fuel gets to the cylinder.
Got plenty of compression.
Tried a BR8ES and a B8ES spark plug.
There is spark when I remove the plug. Doesn't look as good as the original ignition.

Tried full retarded and then full advanced. Still nothing, not even a pop.

The lighting coil side of the stator has two wires. The black one is grounded and the yellow one is floating in space not touching anything.

I removed the kit and put the cr250 ignition back on and it comes to life.
WTF am I not seeing here?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

ohm test....

with my 250 lighting coil i notice it dosent run as clean, and fouls plugs way easier, but it still runs

im thinking LI ION batterys are the answer, light relatively cheap, and they work 100% everytime no screwing around, easily removable too for when your worried about weight
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
B440

Post by B440 »

original stator- 165 ohms
pulser - 240 ohms

lighting coil stator- 37 ohms
pulser - 220 ohms
lighting stator coil (yellow and black wires) - 0.9 ohms

2strokef. didn't you have a similar lighting coil? What was your ohm reading for the ignition?
Last edited by B440 on January 21st, 2012, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

cant remember the # but it was the same ohms for the stock spark generating coil, and the one one the lighting coil
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
B440

Post by B440 »

edited the previous post for proper wording.

I had an extra good ignition coil and I also tried it. Didn't work.

The only thing I could get was one pop with the expansion chamber off, but wouldn't fire with it on. I think I'm giving up on this lighting unit. Going to try something else.

Anyone have recommendations?
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Has there ever been a real clean light solution for MX bikes ..... if so ive never seen it.
Dull yellow lights that make your bike run like a piece of shit, well ive seen thousands of those, even the CRE500 lighting is poor.

Good luck with it man.
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
cr500man

Post by cr500man »

The 500 has slower cranking/kicking speeds than the 250, and requires more voltage than you have at kicking speed to start. You can try to roll start it to verify what I'm saying. We ran into this 8 or 9 years ago when we were putting the cr125 and 250 stuff on our bikes. We ended up using more powerful stators (without lighting coils) to get them to start. The way those types of stators are made there might not be enough room to have a lighting coil and a good strong coil for the cdi. If it roll starts for you and you still want a lighting coil, I would probably change the whole system out for the later model with the 6 pole stator. Let us know how it works out.
B440

Post by B440 »

Got at least 3" of fresh powder on the ground and a street tire on the rear.... so roll starting is out for now.

I am going to try the the 500 rotor instead of the 250 and see if it'll spin longer with each kick.

It is a 6-pole stator. Three for ignition and three for lighting:
cr500man

Post by cr500man »

Yeah wasn't sure how they added a lighting kit to that style of stator. The external types maintained the stock stator configuration and had additional windings in the cover, E-line I think. Anyways we spent a lot of time narrowing down the problems we had early on, and had similiar problems with starting. I tink we're running 00 or 01 stuff now with no problems, but we also don't run lighting kits either.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

get either this or the cyclops, never tried the magicshine but heard real good things about them
http://magicshine.com/product_view.asp?id=103

my buddy runs this light as his only light source and he does most of the night races
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/? ... ducts&id=1
4stroke=dead fish
B440

Post by B440 »

Those are interesting lighting setups, but I'll be on the road too. Need something DOT-like.

Ok so I decided to spin the stator around so the ignition is on the left and the lighting is on the right:

Now I got pops, but the damn thing kicks back fierce. I tried advanced, retarded and in between. Even switched the stator leads just to see if it changed anything. Never had it kick back on me before. Good thing I had a boot on.

What's the worst case scenario for kickback? I now have an odd noise when the piston moves up or down. Sounds like squeaking as if there's no fuel in the cylinder.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

broken cases
4stroke=dead fish
B440

Post by B440 »

Put the CR250 stator without lighting back in and it fired up no problem.

Soo, the lighting stator from Procycle is garbage. :? Oh well maybe I'll rewind it someday and try again.