Why shouldn't I build a '01 125?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
scallywag

Why shouldn't I build a '01 125?

Post by scallywag »

Newbie here with a boner to put my '91 5hunny into something aluminum. Found a '01 CR 125 for a song. I've been searching and lurking and can't seem to find too much info on this specific conversion. I know the head tube is steep and squirly but what else is wrong with it?
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I can't say for sure but I think think the major thing is the front tire may hit the pipe. you should be able to find an '01 250 frame cheap too.
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

Reasons not to do a '01 125 conversion

1) To my knowledge, there are no "build Posts" on the gen 2 125.

2) 125's are a PITA to build, if you are going to do one, might as well be a gen 3, where there are a few build posts to guide you along. Gen 3 plastics / graphics are more available and way cooler. Also there is a custom wye available for the gen 3.

3) There are no "off the shelf" pipes that fit the 125 conversion. Tire hits pipe.

4) a very tough build for a first timer. I know from experience.

Reasons to

1) you really really really want to.

2) you live outside the US where this is the best option available to you.

3) If you want something to turn quick, I mean like right now, do a 125.
scallywag

Post by scallywag »

Well maybe I'll pass on the 125 then. I'd really like stability over quick turning in this bike as its main purpose will be dunes. I'd also like to race the Vegas to Reno on it this August so maybe I'll keep searching for a different donor scoot. I know its sacreligous but what about an aluminum framed YZ 250 stroke chassis? I love the way those thing ride. My current ride besides the 5hunny is an '07 KX 250 2 stroke that is all woodsed-out. I'm putting a top/bottom end in it right now so maybe just for kicks I'll see how a CR 5 fits in.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

scallywag wrote:I know its sacreligous but what about an aluminum framed YZ 250 stroke chassis?
I really like the RM250 conversions that have been done.... But for 90% of riders.... the Gen3 CR250 conversion is King....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I absolutely loved my gen-1 for the dunes. it was like riding a chopper on the sand, very stable, no white nuckling. my gen-4 was so quick turning that it felt very twitchy in the sand and my gen-3 felt the twitchiest of them all. The gen-3 seemed to fall into tracks and wanted to stay in them, the gen-1 is so damn ridgid and the forks so stiff, it would just go where ever you had it pointed.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

AlisoBob wrote:
scallywag wrote:I know its sacreligous but what about an aluminum framed YZ 250 stroke chassis?
I really like the RM250 conversions that have been done.... But for 90% of riders.... the Gen3 CR250 conversion is King....
The gen-3 is IMO the easiest conversion, has the most available parts and just makes a sick bike.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80