Use some common sense ....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

600" BBC

Post by AlisoBob »

Roosty... Hows this sound?

plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

I'm not savvy on airplanes--but a bbc isn't common in small planes, is it? Sure sounded good!
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

plynn41 wrote:I'm not savvy on airplanes--but a bbc isn't common in small planes, is it? Sure sounded good!
Not at all. Almost every general aviation airplane that I have wrenched on has some version of a Lycoming O-360 (360CI opposed 4cyl) or a Lycoming 0-540 (540CI opposed 6cyl). Very low RPM engines that produce peak power around 2700 RPMs depending on temp, altitude, etc... A BBC would be substantially cheaper to maintain but far less efficient without extensive modifications to both the airframe and engine. Im sure that that he had to design a "reduction gearbox" similar to a turbo-prop otherwise operating a BBC where it is most efficient would just cause the prop to slip. Re-do port work, modify the existing carb to be adjusted from the cabin or modify a plate to run an aircraft carb on a chevy manifold. Modify the airframe to comply with weight and balance specifications. Plum it for liquid cooling. ALL KINDS OF STUFF!!.

It is bragging rights tho I guess.