06 CRF250X Conversion started

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Zacko

06 CRF250X Conversion started

Post by Zacko »

Hey guys, I officially started my conversion on monday. My mounts and new rails from Paul showed up at my work around noon. As soon as i got home i started cutting. Got the Y moved up and the new rails in place.

Yesterday I tore the motor out of my donor 86 500. The one question I have is about the bushings at the back of the motor that the swing arm bolt goes through. Can i just have them machined to 17mm? I realize there wont be much materaial left but the case supports it. Or will I have to drill out the case and get new bushings made?

Ill try and get some pictures up here in a bit and you guys can check it out. To make sure im not screwing anything up so far. Any tips or comments are greatly appreciated. Ive seen enough clean nearly factory looking conversions on here and I want mine to be as well.
Thanks
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

The 250. Fresh back from trip to Rexburg.

The 86. Not in spectacular shape but it does run and start good. And its all I could find.

The Y out

As its sits now
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Looks good man. 250 4 poke in the sand seems a little gutless how did it do.
Kevin
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

It did ok. First time there though, most of the other guys were on 250s as well, one big bore yz250f, and a ktm300. It definately spurred on my desire for more power, especially after the valves tightened up down there and it refused to start.
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

:cool: The sand definitely calls for the 500. Your build looks good man keep up the good work and keep up with the pictures of your progress/
Kevin
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Looks sweet.....
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

What is everyone else using for different case bushings for the rear mount with an early motor? I kind of remember reading it somewhere but I cant seem to find it again.
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

Ran into a couple snags today. I got the bushings machined out. Picked up my PC pipe last week. With the motor sitting in the frame there is no way the pipe will go on. It hits the rear coolant hose.
Do i have to swap to a newer style water pump and cylinder?
And then while i was bead blasting the case i found out the right case is cracked right at the kickstarter. So now looks like the cases are coming apart to get welded up.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Zacko wrote:So now looks like the cases are coming apart to get welded up.
Or, locate a late model case and modify the cylinder :wink:
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

After looking at it some more I think I can get it welded up. I hope anyhow. Should get the frame welded this weekend or early next week. Depends on my machinist schedule.

Still waiting for any bodys ideas on the pipe though. Should i just try and return the PC pipe? Has anybody else used an early motor with a PC pipe? ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

This might be too ghetto for you, but this is what I did on my Gen1 with an old motor and PC pipe.
I just used the 2 factory hoses from the water pump, a knife, and a copper 90*.
It aint pretty, but it's never leaked, and only cost me about $2

Last edited by Nodge on July 13th, 2011, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

OK thanks. Ill look tonight and see how well that will work. Id like to actually find a formed hose to make that bend, but ill see what I can come up with.
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

Finally got some more work done on the bike. Gonna talk to my welder tomorrow. Should be melted together this week for sure.

This is just my temporary headstay. Just to hold it in place until its welded. Ill build a new one after
jr mods

about your tank

Post by jr mods »

I dont know if youve gotten that far, but a heads up, your tank is going to need some mods... i have a 250x also, without the plug in the head the tank only sits about 3/4 " above the head. ill take pics to show how ive done it.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

thats a nice cylinder right thar :wink:
MTNielson

RE: the hose

Post by MTNielson »

RE: the hose.

I don't have the part number but there is a hose that routes similar to Nodges hose but is the complete rubber hose,

I believe it's for an Izuzu Trooper, you'll cut some of the hose, but what's left after you cut it fits perfect. If you have a good vision of what you want the auto parts guys will usually let you look over the auto hoses in the back.
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

Okay thanks. I went to both parts stores in town yesterday and came up empty. But i think i might be able to get it to work with a two piece hose. You have any more information on that hose? Year of Isuzu or anything?

And AlisoBob did you use an X tank or just an aftermarket R one? Im gona do my tank this weekend.

Thanks guys.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I modded the original "X" tank, then moved on the the 2.9 gal Acherbis "R" tank that I like much better
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

Here is a pic of the hose I used. Its off a 1990 Ninja 600 part# 39062D

NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
Zacko

Post by Zacko »

Ok thanks guys. Ive got that hose on order as well as a bunch of other parts. Im assuming i need the 90+ intake from the reed cage to carb because the one i have is pointing the carb into the shock. I modded the tank yesterday and got it fitting. Does anybody know the part number for the 450 outlets to weld into the head? Is it the one that bolts to the head of the 450? Its slowly coming together.