Danny Graves Gen 1 Build.

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
dannygraves

Danny Graves Gen 1 Build.

Post by dannygraves »

I posted on cr500riders, but I figure I'll post here too.
heres the 250 donor that I got for $900 (the last owner was an idiot and thought a weep hole leak was major and since he did a complete performance rebuild last year he didn't want to spend more $$$)

here my '86 cr500 donor after its retirement ride... :'-(

heres the start of my mock up. you can see just how far off the front mounts are.
first mount cut off
second
X out
another mock up
swingarm on, motor in for mock up.
I used the rear bushings from the 250 motor (which I sold for $700 BTW) :cool: I just used a 13/16ths bit in the cases, then tapped the buchings in.
with justins old pipe
shorty plug barely clears
mockup with subframe and plastics.
I'll get some more pics tonight. Tonight I'm plumbing my pump to cylinder setup, its going to look really clean.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

SWEET !

Shanman meets Danman...

:clink:
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Nice DG!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, actually, I e-mailed him a couple weeks ago about the the kit he used to make.
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Ok, we have a serious problem here. Man you should of stuffed the 250 motor into the YSR. They are freakin fun with some power. I had a 89 that I put a 88 CR80 motor into.The motor has a 102 kit in it, it was tons of fun.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ou812 wrote:Ok, we have a serious problem here. Man you should of stuffed the 250 motor into the YSR. They are freakin fun with some power. I had a 89 that I put a 88 CR80 motor into.The motor has a 102 kit in it, it was tons of fun.
trust me, I wanted to, but the wife demanded I sell the 250 motor and 500 chassis to pay for a seaworld trip :roll:
its ok, but that one is next up for some work and I'm thinking about selling both stock motors (one moded with crazy porting work, 22mm carb, etc) and getting a blaster motor, it almost directly bolts in, has a 6 speeds for more top speed (since I am crazy enough to drive it on the street) lighting coil, and aircooled, its perfect. The most work will be converting from 6v to 12v. I also have to get the title situation squared away while its still under 50cc (legal to ride without plates or reg, or even a helmet which I think is stupid). Once it gets inspected, then the blaster motor will go in :twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Cool I'll see if I can dig up a picture of mine. I ran it in F3 against big wheel bikes, did pretty good except gearing held me back, 28 was the smallest it would take. But it was stupid fun on kart tracks.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

made some more progress. took care of the waterpump to cylinder hose, got a hose at checker for $10 I took a pic of the part number. I cut it in half and trimmed and it came out perfect.
The lower radiator hose is done, but I don't like it. I want to take it and have two 3/4" fittings put on. the fittings are about 5/8" and the waterpump inlet is 3/4". I doubled up hoses on the rad side and squirted some rtv in between the two.
The pipe I got from Justin needed to be taught a lesson, and I tought it a little too well with my BFH. I need to bang it back the other direction a little.
also swapped my 86 intake maniflod for a newer one.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ou812

Post by ou812 »

So far she's looking good. I had the same hose issue with the 87 motor into a 2000 steelie. The FMF has more of a fit issue, the stock pipe gives way more clearance.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I know these are the same pics in the other thread, but I think it would be cool for someone to be able to find this thread later and see the whole conversion take place.
I got it all mocked up, check it out.
I had to leave a 5mm gap in my cylinder to show you guys the fit since I'm using an '86 motor.

'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

After the welding
I started polishing the left side, which is why it looks a little weird in the pic.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

OK, I make a bunch of progress yesterday, got the bottom end in and the front a rear suspension on. Here are some pics.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

got her fired last night, just have to install the seat cover!
when I fired her up I didn't have the silencer on and it was LOUDER THAN GOD! My whole neighborhood freaked out to see whan made that noise!
anyway, I should ba able to get it dialled in tonight and go for a small solo ride tomorrow, then a real ride on sunday!!!
she still needs soem things, like new plastics and a few of the bolts aren't the right bolts, but shes together and ready to ride!!!
heres a pic for Al on the air boot
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

You're used to riding without a seat anyhow from your bicycle days. So it shouldn't be a big deal for you - get out there and ride it! :)
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

"Trials" Style!
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

Looking good! :cool:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ok, so an update, bikes finished and dialed in and AWESOME! Went for a ride today with Justin and a friend of his. They were both on 450s. What a night and day difference from my '86 steelie!!! it TURNS SOOOO MUCH BETTER, feels lighter and just all around handles way better, my '86 chassis was like riding a chopper by comparrison. ok, so to the negatives...
The gen-1 is anything but comfortable, my rear is killing me and the suspension is harsh (that being a bit of an understatement).
I'm thinking a revalve will be next and I have to start looking into seat foam alternatives. but that is the extent of my complaints! still grinning ear to ear...WOW what a difference!
;D ;D
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

a BIG congrats dude!!! You sure sound like a proud pappa! Sounds like you have sized up the bike pretty quickly too. The gen. one will benefit from having the suspension dialed in FO SHO! The bike is a good comprimise between the steely and the more modern gen two/three/four bikes. Each generation turns better than the previous, but after gen three, I think it comes at the price of stability. A steering stabilizer fixes that nicely. A gen one really doesn't need one as it is a longer bike. Rock tha tbike DG...you deserve it!!! :cool:
CR500AC widget maker
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ShanMan wrote:a BIG congrats dude!!! You sure sound like a proud pappa! Sounds like you have sized up the bike pretty quickly too. The gen. one will benefit from having the suspension dialed in FO SHO! The bike is a good comprimise between the steely and the more modern gen two/three/four bikes. Each generation turns better than the previous, but after gen three, I think it comes at the price of stability. A steering stabilizer fixes that nicely. A gen one really doesn't need one as it is a longer bike. Rock tha tbike DG...you deserve it!!! :cool:
THANKS! :D
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Yea man congrats for sure. Glad to hear your ride report, makes me consider the conversion even more. Good luck on the seat and suspension quest, I'm sure you will learn alot and report back with your findings. We need more conversion reports like yours.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Aint they awsome!!!!!!!
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Oh, another thing to report...heat issues were not a problem. In situations where I would have been dumping coolant all over in my '86 chassis, I lost 1oz in my overflow and it sucked it back in not long after. This was riding sand with a nobbie in 100*+ temps under a heavy load not moving all that quick. Probably about the worst most bikes should ever see. I have a full # plate up and no holes in my fender. I was only only running 50/50 prebottled prestone because I'm cheep and it was in my garage. Not even engine ice or evans. Justin noticed the tube bubbling and that was the worst point, of coarse it was soo hot that it was time to sweat our way back to the trucks to get some a/c. I was seeing stuff there for a while! ;D
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

dannygraves wrote:Oh, another thing to report...heat issues were not a problem. In situations where I would have been dumping coolant all over in my '86 chassis, I lost 1oz in my overflow and it sucked it back in not long after. This was riding sand with a nobbie in 100*+ temps under a heavy load not moving all that quick. Probably about the worst most bikes should ever see. I have a full # plate up and no holes in my fender. I was only only running 50/50 prebottled prestone because I'm cheep and it was in my garage. Not even engine ice or evans. Justin noticed the tube bubbling and that was the worst point, of coarse it was soo hot that it was time to sweat our way back to the trucks to get some a/c. I was seeing stuff there for a while! ;D

Mine hasnt puked any since the first startup, I've got fath in the 1 rad :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

britincali wrote:
dannygraves wrote:Oh, another thing to report...heat issues were not a problem. In situations where I would have been dumping coolant all over in my '86 chassis, I lost 1oz in my overflow and it sucked it back in not long after. This was riding sand with a nobbie in 100*+ temps under a heavy load not moving all that quick. Probably about the worst most bikes should ever see. I have a full # plate up and no holes in my fender. I was only only running 50/50 prebottled prestone because I'm cheep and it was in my garage. Not even engine ice or evans. Justin noticed the tube bubbling and that was the worst point, of coarse it was soo hot that it was time to sweat our way back to the trucks to get some a/c. I was seeing stuff there for a while! ;D

Mine hasnt puked any since the first startup, I've got fath in the 1 rad :wink:
I believe it, mine didn't puke at all on saturday when I was dialing it in, or when I was riding the consrtuction site by my house and it was like 103* out. It only puked that one time when were were cruising some sand trails in some pretty severe heat and it only lost 1oz, so yeah, I'm not going to bother drilling my fender or getting a vented # plate. Besides, my # plate left me enough room to put my overflow behind it, which I really like.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Good one Man!

As long as there is room for coolant expansion, most of time its not an issue.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882