oil

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

my oil showed up few days ago. let you know next weekend how it does
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I use cheap 10-40 in the CR500....but I use Rotella T-6 in my CBR 1000
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

has any one used prolong oil the one they claim you can drain the motor once treated with prolong and it wont seize .... i cant see how that could work if there is no oil film on a white metal bearing it will knock out surely ...i use 10w50 engine oil castrol brand never had any problem
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

put some in the ktm today. tranny works like a dream :cool: . this IS the stuff

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

A DRY CR500 tranny prolly' works better than that KaTooM.......
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

your thinking of yz490. sounded like bearings grinding and gears clunking ?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

tryed APs universal tractor fluid today, 3 hour tight muddy harescramble, boiled the crap out of my bike and no clutch fade, before it would fade out of the adjustment range of the magura.... now its great, even with a 10% smaller master cylinder
im never using anything else, ever
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
craigf40

Post by craigf40 »

100hp honda wrote:put some in the ktm today. tranny works like a dream :cool: . this IS the stuff

This type of oil is no good for your gearbox its a gl5 spec its meant for diffs and crash change gearboxes without sincro rings in other words it doesnt disperse under pressure ... yes a cr500 has a crash change box but you have a wet clutch so you need a gl4 spec oil which disperses under pressure used also in sicro ring type gearboxes...your gearbox might be working real smooth now but your clutch is soon gonna slip ...wash your box out with petrol or gas as you would call it before your clutches soak that oil in
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

thnx for your concearn. the EP additives in GL-5 dont disperse ?

from my understanding a conventional manual tranny means that which is used in cars and light trucks that have synchros. toyota calls for GL-4 or 5 in their manual tranny. as far as i know, toyota has synchros in their trannys. to be honest im not sure GL-4 is even available anymore. if it is, i sure have never seen any. maybe amsoil makes a GL-4 ? but i think the EP additive content is really all that seperates a GL-4 from a 5. i could be wrong though.

http://aglayne.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -80w90.pdf

i believe some gear oils have limited slip additives added, which i heard is not good on the synchros. spirax doesnt have those additives. but im sure some do like valvoline and others.

from what ive seen, GL-5, MT-1 is what most your gear oils are today.

at this point im not concearned about the clutch. its a cheap $50 tusk brand. if theres any side affects ill go back to rotella which is rated JASO-MA specific for motorcycle wet clutches. i can tell you that at one time ktm specified 80 hypoid oil. it doesnt however specify GL-4 or 5 but im assuming since it said "hypoid" that meens GL-5. maybe the clutches were slipping and thats why they recomend motor oil now ? i really dont know that answer.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

this is right from the shell website. say it meets GL-4 and 5. suitable for hypoid, spur, bevel, helical, spiral-bevel and worm gears in heavy duty trucks and passenger car differentials, transmissions, final drives, transfer cases and steering mechanisms. our dirt bikes are full of spur gears. whether or not it affects the clutch is yet to be seen. like i said before, im not concearned at this point. worst case is the clutch slips and i go back to rotella. best case the clutch works fine. ill keep you posted.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/usa/ ... d_flyr.pdf
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

2strokeforever wrote:tryed APs universal tractor fluid today, 3 hour tight muddy harescramble, boiled the crap out of my bike and no clutch fade, before it would fade out of the adjustment range of the magura.... now its great, even with a 10% smaller master cylinder
im never using anything else, ever

I was skeptical until I ran it at Hoonfest. Uphill gnarly boulder fields with tons of clutch feathering, worked incredibly well.
I've ran damn near everything and I agree. Tractor fluid IS the real deal...
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Tractor fluid IS the real deal...
X 1 000 000
also forgot to mention it rolls free er with the clutch in and in gear than anything else
no fade

i would pay $10 a quart for this stuff, AP coulda made a fourtune rebottling this stuff
thanks for sharing
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

this gear oil is fo real. ran it pretty hard in the sand today. works fantastic. no clutch slippage what so ever. shifts like butter cold or hotter than fuk. 2 dudes there with cr500. one was ported and not sure what was done to the other one but it wasnt stock or i would of smoked him. stock 550 was pretty much neck and neck with both hondas on the big hill. :D . was pretty even with a raptor that had a boat load of mods. was fast for a 4poke. thinking he had cams and probly 750cc big bore or something.
durkn

Post by durkn »

I like the Redline synthetic oils.
They make motorcycle specific oils for clutches.

I use their 80W motorcycle gear oil in the CR500af.
I use their 10-40 motorcycle oil in the XR-650r.
"It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is..." - Bill Clinton

CR500af - plated
XR650r - plated
Aprilia RS-250
P200
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:this gear oil is fo real. ran it pretty hard on the stand today.
:lol:
durkn

Post by durkn »

So this is the Redline 80W gear oil - green.
The oil coming out was probably ATF.
It is plum colored.

It doesn't want to drain into the pan.
This stuff has been sitting for about 1/2 hr & won't drain into the oil pan.

Ran the bike & got on it & it's happy...

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is..." - Bill Clinton

CR500af - plated
XR650r - plated
Aprilia RS-250
P200