Torque Wrenches

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
kdizzle

Torque Wrenches

Post by kdizzle »

Can anyone reccommend a decent set of torque wrenches that wont break the bank? I would like to start using them regularly on my machines to keep bolts on mo betta.

Any brands to lookout for?

I would like one 1/4 for in/lbs and another 3/8 for ft/lbs.

I wouldnt mind spending an 100 or so for each wrench..

Would like a click type rather than beam.

So far:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 9&bih=865#

http://www.amazon.com/wrench-torque-wre ... ode=559968

any opinions?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

theres a company that made the ones for snap-on until the digital ones came out. they're 1/3 the $ snap on wanted, possibly better with the newer ratchet head. I'll look for their info, i bought 2 at the last tradeshow.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The beam style is more accurate than the clicker style, unless you really want to spend some money.

If you do get a clicker, dont get the "micrometer" style with the swisting handle, get one like this.

These are in the $100 range
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

thats the style :wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

this is just me but i would avoid anything with plastic parts. bought a craftsman inlb break away with plastic twist handle about 5 years ago and its been good and i still us alot today but about 1.5 years ago i went to get the craftsman ftlb breakaway with plastic twist handle and it didnt work right from day one. took it back for a refund. for ftlb im using a 30 year old all metal clicker type craftsman. most of them appear to be partial plastic now days but theres still a few that are all metal. if i could go back in time i would never buy one with plastic.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i also have wrenches that are 30 years old, theyre in the back shop for tearing shit down or doing torque plates, on the hone or other things. They wont keep the same torque anymore. Weekly i calibrate 5 wrenches, they'll be one out every 5-6 weeks.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im sure mine dont measure exact anymore. probly werent exact from day one. for $1000 dirtbike in not real concearned. :D