Compression release.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Danger4u2

Compression release.

Post by Danger4u2 »

I have a machinist on my web site that does the chain saw compression release (CP) installations on 2 stroke heads. I let people advertise for free if it helps to spark the public's interest, helps promote or just flat out helps keep our 500 2 stokes running. I wanted one of his CP's for my 97 CR500. I know, I know there are some people that say if your can't start it you should not ride it. It's not that I CAN'T start it, I have "TROUBLE" starting my kickstart bikes. I crashed a bike in late 04 and ruptured my patella tendon and suffered nerve damage in my right leg. It's not so much the "kick" it's getting my foot onto the kicker. I need to use my right hand, grasping just below the knee to get my foot on top of the kicker. The CP is a small button you push in on the left side of the head. Some times it takes me a few kicks to get it started. The CP shuts even if the bike does not start. Requiring pushing the button again. I need my right hand to help my leg and left hand to push the button, it's not a big problem on flat ground. But it is a problem after riding for a few hours, getting a little tired and stalling the bike on an off camber hill or maybe trying to get started in a hurry to get out of the way. So I asked Larry if he could make me a release operated by a 4 stroke hot start lever. With a remote release I could keep one hand on the bars at all times when starting. So I bought an ASV C/5 Series (CLMO5-SB) clutch perch with a hot start lever, the starter cable (Kawasaki part # 54017-0009) a new head (Honda part # 12200-ML3-760) because he said it would take some time to design my request. Sent him all the stuff and waited. He tried 3 different designs and he didn't like the way they worked. He asked if I wanted him to make the proven CP and send the head back. I told him that would work. That was 3 months ago.
Yesterday Larry called and told me to check the mail, he had sent the head a few days ago. To my surprise he came up with a design that looks like it will work. It will be a month or so before I can install the new head but I will let you guys know how it works. As it stands now he said it is not cost effective to make. It's a one off design. Within reason I don't care what it costs. I want one on my other bikes.

KX & CR 500 Rider
4Z

Post by 4Z »

Nice looking set up.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I like the lever/cable action! Pretty cool! What'd you use for the piece that attaches and actuates the valve? Is that a custom fabbed part?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Danger4u2

Post by Danger4u2 »

hoofarted wrote:I like the lever/cable action! Pretty cool! What'd you use for the piece that attaches and actuates the valve? Is that a custom fabbed part?
Yes, custom fabricated by Larry Wiechman. He machined all the parts, welded the bung and replaced the button with the part that holds the end of the cable.
KX & CR 500 Rider
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

My compression doo-dad from Roosty doesn't close unless it starts.

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... php?t=6552
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com