new frames

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
coley13

new frames

Post by coley13 »

Has anyone purchased a brand new frame for their conversion, looking at the prices they will be around $500-600 more than a used one on ebay.. Money difference aside, does anyone know if new frames come with a VIN number?

it may sound silly, i'm thinking of giving up on the gen 3 125 conversion, i think a 250 will be much easier. It may be petty but mines an 07 but damned if i can find an 07 250 frame... I figure an 07 will be worth more than an 02 come time to sell. Maybe the extra couple of dollars for a new frame may be worth it. Hence my question on whether these new frames have a VIN with "10th digit" that signifies build date???
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

CA is a long way from where you are but the California guys like the '02, for the green sticker.
quicfix500

Post by quicfix500 »

maddog1927 wrote:CA is a long way from where you are but the California guys like the '02, for the green sticker.
YESSSS! 02 frame makes my heart jump, 07 frame - is it free with delivery to my front door?
coley13

Post by coley13 »

We dont have green sticker or anything. Basically ALL MX bikes are illegal in the bush here... If anyone gets a line on an 07 frame let me know.. I'm not fussed if it's second hand, but am prepared to buy new if i need to though.. All i can find second hand is 02-03
cj250f

Re: new frames

Post by cj250f »

coley13 wrote:Has anyone purchased a brand new frame for their conversion, looking at the prices they will be around $500-600 more than a used one on ebay.. Money difference aside, does anyone know if new frames come with a VIN number?

it may sound silly, i'm thinking of giving up on the gen 3 125 conversion, i think a 250 will be much easier. It may be petty but mines an 07 but damned if i can find an 07 250 frame... I figure an 07 will be worth more than an 02 come time to sell. Maybe the extra couple of dollars for a new frame may be worth it. Hence my question on whether these new frames have a VIN with "10th digit" that signifies build date???
I have a 2011 crf250r frame on order that should be here by the end of the month with no vin number on it.
coley13

Post by coley13 »

cj250f wrote:
coley13 wrote:Has anyone purchased a brand new frame for their conversion, looking at the prices they will be around $500-600 more than a used one on ebay.. Money difference aside, does anyone know if new frames come with a VIN number?

I have a 2011 crf250r frame on order that should be here by the end of the month with no vin number on it.
Thats a shame, i was concerned that may be the case. My main concern is for insurance reasons against theft. The insurance company wont touch it if it cant be identified. I'm unaware of anyone that stamps frames for identification..

Oh well, back to looking for secondhand.
Thanks
cj250f

Post by cj250f »

coley13 wrote:
cj250f wrote:

Thats a shame, i was concerned that may be the case. My main concern is for insurance reasons against theft. The insurance company wont touch it if it cant be identified. I'm unaware of anyone that stamps frames for identification..

Thanks
If you turn in an old frame with a vin they will stamp it with that same vin & destroy the old frame.
Hammer

Post by Hammer »

cj250f wrote:
coley13 wrote:
cj250f wrote: I have a 2011 crf250r frame on order that should be here by the end of the month with no vin number on it.

Thanks
If you turn in an old frame with a vin they will stamp it with that same vin & destroy the old frame.
Could I trade in a 91 frame that is Ca. plated, for a 2012 AF, and get it stamped.
Thank's Craig.
91 CR 500, Ca. plated.
09 CRF 450X
XR 650L
2000 CR 250R
2006 CRF 150F
http://www.hammonconstruction.org/
cj250f

Post by cj250f »

Hammer wrote:
cj250f wrote:
coley13 wrote: Thats a shame, i was concerned that may be the case. My main concern is for insurance reasons against theft. The insurance company wont touch it if it cant be identified. I'm unaware of anyone that stamps frames for identification..

Thanks
Could I trade in a 91 frame that is Ca. plated, for a 2012 AF, and get it stamped.
Thank's Craig.
I am going to stamp mine as a 97 for the green sticker issue. I would talk to your dealer but from what I was told you give them your old frame & vin so they can stamp the new one as a replacement frame.
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

You're right about the no VIN stamped on replacement frames.
I purchased a new 1993 CR250 frame last year, and it had a
clean steering tube (see picture). Honda did send a metal
sticker with it that is supposed to be used for ID and title
purposes.

The other frame I bought recently was a 2008 CRF250 that
the Honda dealer was parting right out of the crate. I got a
brand new frame and subframe with VIN and title for $400.
Something to consider if you don't have much luck finding
a decent CR frame. By the way, a new 2007 CR250 frame
and subframe retails for $1600 but you can get it for around
$1100 from some dealers.

dogger

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i dont see how a '07 frame will make it worth more than a '04 frame, all other parts being eqaul. conversion bikes are not recognized by any financial lending institutions around here, the resale price you get is whatever the buyer is willing to pay. if he pays more because the frame tag says '07 then hes a idiot.

now if there were major technology changes between a '04 and '07 then its possible a higher resale may be achieved. but obviously that isnt the case regarding cr250.