Need Advice: CR500 Project - Year of Motor Choice

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
G FORCE

Need Advice: CR500 Project - Year of Motor Choice

Post by G FORCE »

Hello all,

Great forum with lots of info. Glad I found it.

Anyway, I have a '98 CR250 with a blown engine that I sourced for the conversion. I originally wanted to follow the Gen 1 write up for the conversion and go with a '92+ CR500 engine and order the mount kit and all that stuff. I recently found a local '86 CR500 bike for sale for $750. Would this be a worthwhile option for the conversion or should I wait for a newer motor?

I know the earlier CR500 engines are rated a bit higher and more on/off switches. I was thinking of taming it down with a heavy flywheel weight. My main question is would this require different engine mounts than the '92+ motors? Anything else I should be aware of before taking on the conversion with this donor bike?

Thank you for any input,

Gabe
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

Info is all over this site on this. You'll have to bore the bushings the swingarm bolt passes through and redo the the water pump hose routing from the pump to the cylinder. Chances are the water pump is rotted and if it's not, it will be. For ease, the later engines are the way to go although I prefer the 87' engine and went with that. The mounts are the same.
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

Thanks. I've been searching but couldn't find exactly the info I was looking for.

So aside from the swingarm bushings and hose routing that's about it? Budget is kind of an issue and I'm looking at least $1500 for a newer model donor bike so at half the price, this one is a decent option?
supermotoflunkie

Post by supermotoflunkie »

I'm not trying to be a Dick here (sorry if I am) but why find a nasty motor and tone it down? Might as well rebuild the 250 motor....?
http://epicmotosports.com/ Epic Motosports and Sisneros Speed Works have paired up! Parts, service, repair, monster builds and dyno tuning!
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

Not at all! I appreciate all the info I can get.

Well, the 250 engine is completely lunched. It's going to cost me about $800 - $900 to source a good used one or source new parts. This '86 donor bike is the cheaper option (and cooler option!). I've just been reading a lot of mixed info on earlier motors and wanted to make sure this was a good option.

I'm going to add a flywheel weight to whichever 500 engine I end up getting either way in order to make it easier to ride and get more of the power down.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

G FORCE wrote: I'm going to add a flywheel weight to whichever 500 engine I end up getting either way

:lame:
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

AlisoBob wrote: :lame:
Have I been reading misinformation about a flywheel weight? Isn't it supposed to smooth out power delivery and get more power to the ground?
supermotoflunkie

Post by supermotoflunkie »

G FORCE wrote:
AlisoBob wrote: :lame:
Have I been reading misinformation about a flywheel weight? Isn't it supposed to smooth out power delivery and get more power to the ground?
You are correct. Thats what flywheel weights do.

The 500 is the Cooler option. Just don't slow it down is what I'm saying.....
http://epicmotosports.com/ Epic Motosports and Sisneros Speed Works have paired up! Parts, service, repair, monster builds and dyno tuning!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its suposed to take the fun out of riding a 500.

Flywheel weight equals:

No flywheel weight equals:

Get it ?
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

LMAO. Nice use of visual aids!

Fair enough. I'll give it a shot without it and see how it goes.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

In my opinion, 86 was the best motor......... I'd be all over an 86 for 750 bucks.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

IMHO flywheel screws up the handling too
03 CRF450/85 500
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

nmdesertrider wrote:IMHO flywheel screws up the handling too
Yep. [shatner] "Bike.....will...not...turn!!!" [/shatner][/img]
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Nodge wrote:
nmdesertrider wrote:IMHO flywheel screws up the handling too
Yep. [shatner] "Bike.....will...not...LEAN!!!" [/shatner]
Fixed.

You can still turn them. You just have to do it with the back brake.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

Glad there is another fan of the '86! I think it's a pretty good deal. I probably could find a newer donor for about $500 if I waited but these bikes don't pop up too often around here. $750 seems pretty cheap anyway! Would the roller be worth any money after I canabalize it for the engine, cdi and carb? Be nice to recoup a little cash.

Interesting info about the turning/leaning issue. That hadn't even crossed my mind.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Most everyone here is a '86 fan.....

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

never seen a good running '85 for $750. if its worn out, youll be into it as much as buying a nice newer model. i would read up on all the bullshit that comes along with the older engines. nothing wrong with the old ones but its hard not to look towards something newer.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i've got a sweet 86 motor in a '88 chassis too. Its alot of fun, but it'll lay a hurtin on ya.
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

That's a clean bike there! :cool:

I guess the one good thing is that it is a running bike and I can ride it and check it out first. He says he went through it and did a top end 3 years ago and it hasn't been ridden much since. You're very right though, it could end up costing more than a $1500 newer donor bike if something is amiss.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if the bike your looking at is half as nice as the one in the picture it would be a shame to chop it up. those years had great significance. the later years had far less importance and are a dime a dozen.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

honestly, I loved my '86 powered dunes bike, but found my newer bikes with '90s motors ran better and were much more trail friendly and even faster by being more controlable, plus the conversion is much easier. I prefer the '93+ motors, wide ratio with all the newer stuff. If you'r buildi ng a drag bike, then go for the '86, if you are building a trail or MX bike get s '90s motor.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

Maybe the bike would be a good spare bike for $750 as is, considering it runs and all. I suppose I could be patient and wait for a newer donor but will inevitably pay double or more. There is also a clean '06/'99 AF for sale locally for $4k that is tempting!

Danny, thanks for your opinion. I will be using it for trail/sand dune riding. What you say makes sense about using a bike with more controllable power so I'll see what comes up as far as other options.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

I love my 86 motor....
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

dannygraves wrote:honestly, I loved my '86 powered dunes bike...

ya back when you had a "real mans bike" - u poser. :lol:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

LMAO, bring your 500 to vegas this weekend and come riding with us... :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80