DEP pipes

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

word is, some canadian dude went and swept the inventory so he could keep his ice racer up front this winter.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

:lol:
trgracing

dep pipes

Post by trgracing »

im uk based, and why would anyone buy a dep pipe combo.. they are not as good as you guys think... the silencers inners drop out of them, also ref a copy of hrc pipe. that isnt true. if you want the best you guys need to go to europe, hgs or doma, there is plenty of proper pipe combo for you money. also dep pipes arnt built in the uk now.. czech or some where similar.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I dont know where these are being made, sounds like in the USA, we'll see what its like, its different, we'll see where it goes.

Find me those pipes and send them over, i'll run them and let you know what i think.

I'm not going DEP on the silencer forsure.
ukaf

Re: dep pipes

Post by ukaf »

trgracing wrote:im uk based, and why would anyone buy a dep pipe combo.. they are not as good as you guys think... the silencers inners drop out of them, also ref a copy of hrc pipe. that isnt true. if you want the best you guys need to go to europe, hgs or doma, there is plenty of proper pipe combo for you money. also dep pipes arnt built in the uk now.. czech or some where similar.
So Dave King (the guy who owns Thorpe's '89 HRC bike) says the DEP is very close to the HRC copy pipes he's had made. Maybe Thorpe's bike didn't use HRC then???????????????????

Neither Doma nor HGS list a pipe or silencer for the CR500 so used is the only option. Nothing wrong with that but they're not going to be easy to find.

We used DEP silencers all of 2009 - just one for each rider (Hanson and Hill) - and had no problems at all. More importantly there's no other silencer which gets any where near passing the noise test - that's important if you want to race the bike.

I have no big interest in which pipe folks use. If I could buy new stock pipes for the price of DEP then that's what I'd use - Honda's quality, fit and performance is rarely beaten.

It'll be interesting to read a comparison of the pipes - our experieince was that the young guy preferred stock cylinder porting and FMF with short silencer, the older guy found that too hard hitting and liked the Gorr cylinder with DEP and long silencer. Most CR500 riders aren't 23 year old Pro riders so the DEP combination might work better.
gammabusa

Post by gammabusa »

I am out..........
Last edited by gammabusa on March 4th, 2011, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

It could happen. I have a stock bike to test them on also.

The DEP arrived today, all dinger and scuffed before it was nickel finished. I'm somewhat pissed, but haven't talked to DEP about it yet.
mr2ace

Post by mr2ace »

My DEP arrives tomorrow.
Natural finish for an AF.
Will report on it's condition.
24 Beers in a case...24 Hours in a day...Coincidence I think not !
gammabusa

Post by gammabusa »

I am out..........
Last edited by gammabusa on March 4th, 2011, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gammabusa

Post by gammabusa »

I am out..........
Last edited by gammabusa on March 4th, 2011, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

we could do that forsure.
The pipe marks arent machine marks or anything, its dropped dinted and gouged on the outer radius on the rh side. the pieces of metal moved in the gouging have the nikkel plate so it was done before it. :evil:
Rue

Post by Rue »

Roostius_Maximus,

Check out this web page. Have you ever heard of these guys??

http://www.pcsperformance.com/Dirt_Bike_pipes.html
AFC Build link
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 220#106220

"Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love" (David McCullough)
ukaf

Post by ukaf »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:we could do that forsure.
The pipe marks arent machine marks or anything, its dropped dinted and gouged on the outer radius on the rh side. the pieces of metal moved in the gouging have the nikkel plate so it was done before it. :evil:
I've had probably 70 DEP front pipes in the last 3 years and to be fair they've all been very similar finish and standard to PC and FMFs I've used. Dings and stuff aren't typical so it's definitely worth getting on to them about it. For sure it'd get sent back if it was over here - not quite so easy for you I know.

Did you get the long silencer too?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Ya, its brokered into Canada too, major pain in the nuts.
Tom has been working with the factory, he really wants to get something happening for me.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

ukaf wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote:we could do that forsure.
I've had probably 70 DEP front pipes in the last 3 years and to be fair they've all been very similar finish and standard to PC and FMFs I've used. Dings and stuff aren't typical so it's definitely worth getting on to them about it. For sure it'd get sent back if it was over here - not quite so easy for you I know.

Did you get the long silencer too?
UKAF , have u contact details for a distributor for DEP in the UK or did u go direct to them ?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

DEP looked after me on getting a pipe without damge on its way :wink:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I didnt buy their silencer, went with the Bills
mr2ace

Post by mr2ace »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:DEP looked after me on getting a pipe without damge on its way :wink:
Good to hear!
I received great service and quick shipping from Tom.
My DEP for the AF fit very well on the 2002 CR250 framed 500.
24 Beers in a case...24 Hours in a day...Coincidence I think not !
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

dubious01 wrote:with all due respect for Eric Gore, he also liked less compression than stock motor, :roll: :roll:
That was the part I really didn't like about his motor

That pipe looks allot like a stocker.... skinny rev pipe :cool:

What didnt you like about the way it worked? Depending on the port specs, ignition timing, type of fuel and what Eric was trying to accomplish, less is sometimes better.

I raced snowmobiles for many years, and a renowned pipe builder (Jaws) schooled me with countless hours on the superflo dyno. I had always built HP by tightening the squish and having higher cyl pressure. By going the with less compression, I could run a more aggressive port, a pipe that had better resonance and scavenging and allow me to run higher RPM. This all equaled a happier engine that was easier to jet/tune and made more power... Oh yea, it would sustain this HP heat soaked where the higher compression engine would lay down on top end and start detonating.
ukaf

Post by ukaf »

oggo69 wrote:
UKAF , have u contact details for a distributor for DEP in the UK or did u go direct to them ?
CI Sport are the UK distributor - I'm pretty sure they only sell to the trade though. If I wanted 10 pipes for a project I'd go direct to DEP but for one off purchases I use CI Sport.

I'm not sure where in the world you are; if you're UK then try CI Sport, if that fails get in touch with me again. If you're not UK it'll be worth looking at the DEP website for your local distributor.

If you are in the UK you'll need a long silencer if you want to avoid problems at tracks - the DEP one works better than the others we tried.