Stop sign cylinder

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gmbond

Stop sign cylinder

Post by Gmbond »

I'm pulling apart my 1994 motor here and I discovered the cylinder has the streaks at each stud. Fairly minor blowby marks tracking down the cylinder. It also has a fairly recent looking wiesco .50mm piston that hasn't been drilled.

I've never heard this motor run or performed a compression test/leakdown test.

What im after for info is should I just put it back together for now and do nothing as it looks clean etc....
Should I bore to the next size and new oem or vertex.

Hone it?
Drill the wiesco and run er Til I wanna rebuild it with oem or vertex??
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:worthless:
seanmx57

Re: Stop sign cylinder

Post by seanmx57 »

Gmbond wrote: I've never heard this motor run or performed a compression test/leakdown test.
So you basically know nothing about the motor then...........

In the future you may want to consider checking the compression before the tear down. Leak test it too. Unless of course you are hell bent on a FULL rebuild.

Have you measured piston to cylinder clearance?
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Hope that works first time I've posted pictures

So yea basically other than what I can see I don't know the history of this motor. Someone has done some polish work in the exhaust port but doesn't appear to have really had much material removed so I'm thinking it's pretty superficial work there.

I would have done a leakdown test but the head was already removed and compression test is hard to do when it's not in a bike. I figured for the cost of a base gasket it was worthwhile doing a visual inspection at least.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Never realized how hard it is to take a picture of the inside of a cylinder especially using my phone camera.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

have you checked piston to cylinder clearance? ring gap, and was it over heated?

Looks like the rings are deflecting / chattering off the top of the exhaust port, I would check chamfer, ring gap and piston clearance.

I would make sure it had coolant, and ensure it was circulating.
I am no pro but I would thing the stud area get the hotest when it overheats, and the gap would tighten up in those locations the most.

That piston is new. I am confident the stop signs were made with a different piston, and that motor had a fresh piston slapped into it without a fresh bore, or even honing it.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

damn dubious i think you are onto something,

id completely forgotten this motor had nearly no coolant and was dribbling out of the weep hole on the waterpump before it was pulled,

the lack of matching stud streaks on the piston had stood out too.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

It's all apart. Do it up right.

What piston is that? Never seen one with groves bt the rings like that.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
kball1313

Post by kball1313 »

Lots of wisecos have grooves in between the ring grooves.
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

It is a wiesco 636 554

I was just checking it out and the pins that locate the rings are loose... Is this a normal wiesco thing? Never seen it before.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

has cutouts into the exh face. must be pretty old. been atleast 3 design changes since then that i know of.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

Gmbond wrote:It is a wiesco 636 554

I was just checking it out and the pins that locate the rings are loose... Is this a normal wiesco thing? Never seen it before.
Thats typical of older wiseco's, thye have done a llot of damage
Don't run it
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

its winter, you got no reason not to do it right
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'd send the whole thing to Roosty for a Vertex makeover...
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

dont do it, give him time to finish mine first :lol:
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Roosty gave me a good price on the "vertex makeover" however I've decided to go with my local race machine shop as they've treated me good before and I'm sure they appreciate the business.

I'll try to remember to take a couple of pictures of the job they do and post it up.

On another note I truly dodged a bullet with that wiseco piston. I was looking at it and one of the ring locator pins fell right out!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Who are they?
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Bondi Engines

http://www.bondiengines.com/

(despite the similarities between their name and my screen name there is no relation)
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Bondi has a huge name in MX and sleds in our area and I've never heard anything negative about them. Probably not a bad choice. If you aren't going to use Roosty, at least that's the right direction to go in. Had the good fortune to ride one of their full on race CR250 motors, a couple of years back, owned by a local dealer/ ex Canadian top 10 pro. That thing was a rocketship! Made my stocker look like a 125. Seems to me it was an 05 bike. Didn't change the powerband any, so it was dead on the bottom and all mid-range, but WHAT a mid-range. Definitely knows how to tweak a motor.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

make sure they know about torque plate and know how to relieve the bridge
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Just remembered to post pictures

Looks good, took a little while but they had a shop full of blown up sleds and I told them it was no hurry.

oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

sweet as job done there
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

for the hell of it you should double check their work. checked a stock oem jug couple days ago and its .0004" oval from the X and Y axis. plenty good enough for me. checked the wiseco piston that goes with it and theres .0035 clearance. job well done by honda and wiseco :cool:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I would check the work but the tools required to do that are something I haven't invested in yet, so I'll have to trust it's done well.

Just bought a set of the motion pro stud installers and man does that work nice! I've always hated double nutting the studs to torque them, and my stud Puller/installer from mac tools leaves three small indents where it grips the stud so I didn't like that either.