Mps 450 frame

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Gmbond

Mps 450 frame

Post by Gmbond »

I just found this ad (not mine!)

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z240867759

The multiple joints in the rails just look wrong

Maybe someone can save these pics ad repose them up so they'll stay up for anyone asking about Mps build looks
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

That "headstay" ( and I use that word with hesitation) is a complete joke!

What crap MPS turns out.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

I am thinking the 450 Junk frame I have is an MPS frame.
same headstay, and the same overheated welds.
blobulous maximus

Look at the stock lower frame pad and how bad it was burned down from the new mount on the left rail....

shit indeed
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Wow. Im a 500 newb, but how could anyone pay hard earned cash for shite like that? Jebus!
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

looks like a 20 min slap together gitter done and pay up sucker
no wing no prayer
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

They use to sell frames on eBay with rags covering their work... it was supposed to ...... "protect our intelectural property from copt-cats".

People bought them anyways, rags and all.

Crazy Shit people do.....
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

The lower mounts aren't that bad....but that shite at the "y" is hideous!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You can look at the motor-mounts, and see how badly the engine was moving around...

Terrible work.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Definetely not the "factory look" we all would like to have. $1900 for a frame??? Do People not realize how easy the DIY really is?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

RobC wrote:Do People not realize how easy the DIY really is?
Nope..... Mine is still rolling strong with 3 hard years on it! Could not be more pleased and I built it :cool:
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I thought they might have been given kudos for at least using the std lower mounts as pad / platforms :lol: .

Dreadful work for a paying job, and the straight head stay mount shows no engineering / force vector knowledge whatsoever. It needs to be curved to match the flex pattern of the spars, and have at least 2 bolted mountings to the plates on the spars to actually 'steady' the engine. What a bloody joke.

I'd understand the average bloke doing a conversion like this, by himself and without having researched builds both here and at the other site, but this is beyond the pale for a paying job. Sure it might last, especially when it will generally have an owner who keeps up on the basics like motor mount bolts being tight, but it's fundamentally flawed by any standards.

What's the hose pictured? An adaptor for the carb, I assume?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Well, as an MPS victim, allow me to step up to the plate and take 1 for the team. I was lucky, because I only spent $1000 for mine. If you call that luck. Maybe he was desperate for some under the table cash. My welds look better than that, and my friend who has welded for 40+ years thought they were ok too. Good enough for me. He's the guy who fixed up the POS that I got from MPS. Easily 10 hours into getting it right. The afore-mentioned rubber tube is Georges idea of an "adapter". When he gave it to me at the time the frame was ready, I thought his idea was a little off, but not standing right at the bike to see how it worked, it was had to judge. The explanation was " Put this tube on the stock 450 air boot, put the top bolt in the subframe and drop it down onto the 500 carb. Takes a little force because it doesn't exactly line up, but it's all we ever do." Are you with me here people? I just thought at the time it might be something I would need to figure out myself. Of course when I got the motor into the frame, ( I stress WHEN!) that fuckin POS doesnt even come close. The TOP of the 500 carb is at the BOTTOM of 450 boot. And how exactly is that fuckin adapter going to fit?!?!?! The subframe wouldn't even line up with the lower bolt holes before the boot whacked the carb. Let alone the fact he expects to clamp down a piece of rubber ( from a water heater exhaust outlet) onto another piece of rubber with no metal insert to clamp on. So that piece of rocket science didn't work. About on par with the rest of the job though. At the time I was waiting on my frame he was sending 3 bikes to OZ, one of which went to guy on here. Just wondering if he would like to check in and let us know how his bike was upon closer inspection. Now my question is, I know MPS uses solid aluminum inserts inside the frame tubes and then welds everything solid, bit is that going to be a weak point with a high risk of breakage? The way the motor mounts are on there puts all the load onto those 2 short rails but will the solid stock inside be enough to spread the load into the entire rail. I am seriously thinking of cutting out that whole section and putting in rails from the "Y" to the pegs. Any thoughts hoons? Sorry for the long post
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

I am an MPS victim as well. I have completely re-engineered mine, and have a billet headstay made on mill. That POS Headstay broke on me.

ALso the Y cracked all over the place. I ended up fishplating it front and back of the y for reinforcement.

Stay tuned fellas ill get some pics up.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

The sad thing is that after you have done a couple of these you can do a top notch conversion in less than a day... no excuse for this type of work.
03 CRF450/85 500
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Check out my photos on the topic Gen III500 Build, my welds arent as bad as the ones shown. Anybody wants some more upclose photos id be pleased to post them. Nothing was really to bad but wouldnt recommend it. I bought mine cause I didnt have much time for the build and thought I could just "drop in a 500 engine" and be away..... I was wrong. Still going. Just got the air boot to do. SHITHOUSE idea the rubber boot. I could get mine lined up but it seemed like a very shaky idea, clamping rubber on rubber, didnt seem like a good idea to me.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

alcrook26 wrote:Check out my photos on the topic Gen III500 Build, my welds arent as bad as the ones shown. Anybody wants some more upclose photos id be pleased to post them. Nothing was really to bad but wouldnt recommend it. I bought mine cause I didnt have much time for the build and thought I could just "drop in a 500 engine" and be away..... I was wrong. Still going. Just got the air boot to do. SHITHOUSE idea the rubber boot. I could get mine lined up but it seemed like a very shaky idea, clamping rubber on rubber, didnt seem like a good idea to me.
the hose extension is a horrible idea, a great way to ruin your engine when it fails and sucks dirt in...
That concept is a complete failure on every level.
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Well I know for a fact that George cruises these forums, so here are some shots of this bullshit he is selling.

I will note that he agreed to take the frame back and send me a new one, and i considered it. But when shit is this bad it is obvious the person has completely missed the mark and i didnt expect a new frame to make anything better.

the bad:

Cracked cradle. probably do to the shitty head stay design.

Broken headstay, i attribute this to the shitty grade AL that was used and overheated welds. I ahd a new one made from billet 6061 on a mill, I will try to get some pics of it next time i have the tank off.

Here is how I fixed the broken cradle. Fish plate front and back of that biatch:

Here is the Bike:

After I fixed all the BS the bike is good. This is one mean MF'er. Definately a Widow maker.

Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

If you check eBay right now MPS has gen 5 conversions on there.

Wonder how they did those....

Also animal power has their "services" on eBay. And some pictures or their conversion work as well. One note here is square tube used.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

kdizzle wrote:Well I know for a fact that George cruises these forums, so here are some shots of this bullshit he is selling.

I will note that he agreed to take the frame back and send me a new one, and i considered it. But when shit is this bad it is obvious the person has completely missed the mark and i didnt expect a new frame to make anything better.

the bad:

Cracked cradle. probably do to the shitty head stay design.

I'm not going to say the head stay didn't cause the crack but I think that is a factory weld not MPS unless they started with a cracked frame and repaired it. There is no reason for them to touch anything at that spot on the Y.
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Yes that is a factory weld, however I believe the shit headstay design does not brace enough and causes additional stress here..
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

kdizzle wrote:Yes that is a factory weld, however I believe the shit headstay design does not brace enough and causes additional stress here..
Youn are correct. There are many othes on here with the same damage and tghat shit headstay design. Unfortunatley many home builds without any research end up copying his junk headstay, or use the same simple design.

My 450 frame thread and another by Z36 show very similar damage

That is one cool dog.
How much does he weigh?
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

kdizzle wrote:Yes that is a factory weld, however I believe the shit headstay design does not brace enough and causes additional stress here..
Can't dispute that! Might as well run without a headstay than use that.
What did you do to correct your's? If i'm not mistaken they cut off part of
the factory tabs that are on the frame leaving only one bolt hole.
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

dubious01 wrote:
Youn are correct. There are many othes on here with the same damage and tghat shit headstay design. Unfortunatley many home builds without any research end up copying his junk headstay, or use the same simple design.

My 450 frame thread and another by Z36 show very similar damage

That is one cool dog.
How much does he weigh?
Well what I did was have one made on a mill that is a thicker shank and beefier tabs to mount to the head. I know this doesnt give it the support a stay welded near the shock mount would, but it defiantely is an improvement over the MPS piece. So far it has not broken yet.

I did run it a few times with no heasstay and the vibes were way worse, so at least it is doing something in that regard.

The puppy (Bulldozer) is a about 85-90LB purebred off Razors edge / Gotti bloodlines. There are bigger pits around, but he is absolutely cut up. Not one ounce of fat on him. A very athletic dog, runs jumps and loves to pull me on my longboard for miles. only bad thing is that he thinks he is a lapdog and is a big old pussy. gets beat up by the neighbors chihuaha all the time, as well as the other neighbors french bulldog. I guess its better than him killing everything he comes in contact with.. I hope he never learns his true strenth or abilities when it comes to violence. He also is perfect with my 1 and 3 year old sons. they ride him all over the house like a horse and he loves it. Damm good dog so far. and he still has his nuts if any of you hoons have a female...
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

The puppy (Bulldozer) is a about 85-90LB purebred off Razors edge / Gotti bloodlines. There are bigger pits around, but he is absolutely cut up. Not one ounce of fat on him. A very athletic dog, runs jumps and loves to pull me on my longboard for miles. only bad thing is that he thinks he is a lapdog and is a big old pussy. gets beat up by the neighbors chihuaha all the time, as well as the other neighbors french bulldog. I guess its better than him killing everything he comes in contact with.. I hope he never learns his true strenth or abilities when it comes to violence. He also is perfect with my 1 and 3 year old sons. they ride him all over the house like a horse and he loves it. Damm good dog so far. and he still has his nuts if any of you hoons have a female...
Thats awesome to hear. Goes to show its all about the owner.

I bet all he has to do is sit in the driveway and most people won't come in.
Mine is a pussy cat too, but a great deterent at the house, and I have heard he goes ape shit behind the door, when someone is near the house, and I'm not home, so he does his job well, and has a balanced temperment with family friends and other animals.