The search for an engine... Opinions please

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AMA714

The search for an engine... Opinions please

Post by AMA714 »

After looking at way too many beat or just unknown engines, I have decided that I am just going to look for a complete CR500 to buy for my donor. I have a pristine 2008 CRF250 sitting in the garage waiting to get torn apart, so its time I get a 500 and get this project started.

I was hoping to get the newest engine I could, but I think Im headed in the direction of just getting the cleanest complete bike. This way Ill at least get to fire it up and ride it before laying out money on someone's roached engine.

I have done a lot of searches on engines and have seen multiple threads on old style and new style cases/cyl etc... but is there any year that really stands out? What do most guys look for? 91 and up??

Thanks to Danny and Bob for all of the suggestions, I am going to do the conversion based off Bob's Gen 4..

Zach
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

I have a almost new 01 500 motor it has less then 5hrs on it from new. Its out of a bike that HONDA put together not SH's wanna-be Honda mechanic. I'll take $3,000 for it carb and ignition

Last edited by pstoffers on November 9th, 2010, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

pstoffers wrote:Its out of a bike that HONDA put together

:headbang:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

You'll be happiest with Paul's - almost new and 01 = WIN

But anything 93+ is good.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You dont want someone else's headache......
100hp honda

Re: The search for an engine... Opinions please

Post by 100hp honda »

AMA714 wrote:After looking at way too many beat or just unknown engines, I have decided that I am just going to look for a complete CR500 to buy for my donor.
Zach

cool. thats what i been saying since day one. foolish to buy a motor that cant be started, riden, shifted... from a unknown source. 9 out 10 times a complete bike is way better deal also. stoufers engine might be good. was saying alot of craigslist/ebay stuff is junk.
87CR500Rider

Re: The search for an engine... Opinions please

Post by 87CR500Rider »

100hp honda wrote:
AMA714 wrote:After looking at way too many beat or just unknown engines, I have decided that I am just going to look for a complete CR500 to buy for my donor.
Zach

cool. thats what i been saying since day one. foolish to buy a motor that cant be started, riden, shifted... from a unknown source. 9 out 10 times a complete bike is way better deal also. stoufers engine might be good. was saying alot of craigslist/ebay stuff is junk.
Throw in the shoddy packing and buying a loose engine is even more of a gamble. My spare 87' engine was shipped with the shifter still attached which went through the ignition cover. If I was looking again, it would be hard to pass up that fresh, complete engine for $3,000. Honda put it together, it's the newest you can get and it's ready to go.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

AlisoBob wrote:You dont want someone else's headache......
exactly- I have two of those sitting in my garage, one I parted out some and the other I had to do a complete rebuild with crank bearing and tranny parts. I'd buy Pauls if I were you.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

My " Honda Built" shortblock just had its 13th birthday.

Its friggin' indestructable.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I've bought a pile of partial ones and tried to part out what i dont need, always end up buying just that last piece i need to finish another thats almost complete, then i start on the next :roll: hahahaha

Theres not many engines like that arround
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

You dont want someone else's headache......
That's true to a point- if you have a competent mechanic split the motor and go entirely through it you can have a bulletproof motor- my 85 is testament to that.
03 CRF450/85 500
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

On my way to look at a clean 1990. I have not ridden a 500 since 1987 when I ice raced an 86 CR 500 up in Canada. Looking forward to it.

I have heard a lot of you mention that if the thing has too much vibration in the steelie chassis that it is probably crank related. I hope I can feel that--lol Any other suggestions or things I should look out for on the 500?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

case damage, pry marks at the base of the jug or cases.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

No coolant in rads, "wraped up" chain damage to cases ahead of countershaft sprocket, clutch drag or chatter... the usual stuff
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Ive got a headache I could sell somebody if they need one! :lol:
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
AMA714

another roach

Post by AMA714 »

No need to take the bike for a spin. When I get there they are dragging it down the street trying to get it going... I smile, say hi and tell them to stick it. Bike was clapped, cleaned up nice but underneath the new plastic it was rough..... NEXT
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

OK... Im off to Houston this weekend to look at a complete 89. Rossty, ill send you pictures of the roller if I bring it home. Also, I found an 87 thats in good shape inside, but where the hoses attach to the water pump housing it severely corroded. Can these spigots be changed?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

that requires a new case, its magnesium and the waterpump will be rotten, 140$ i think, also the rear bushing is smaller than 89 and would need to be machined, outlet on the cylinder is different and its a longer reed housing which can contact some of the 89+ style pipes
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:that requires a new case, its magnesium and the waterpump will be rotten, 140$ i think, also the rear bushing is smaller than 89 and would need to be machined, outlet on the cylinder is different and its a longer reed housing which can contact some of the 89+ style pipes
I think around $140 is correct. Getting the bushings bored isn't a big deal.
AMA714

its a deal....

Post by AMA714 »

Sweet jesus, I finally got a good engine!! Now, next question for you hoons... What pipe? PC platinum or the FMF Gnarly.

Which one and why
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Ah oh, :m16:
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

:eatdrink:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i only ever tried the pc, but the best way would to get both and decide for yourself, i wish i did, cause now i need to get both cause my pc is completly mangled
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

Stock
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

87CR500Rider wrote:Stock
Stock sucks... So much so that I have started a crusade to rid the planet of them.

Contact me with any info leading to their capture.