beat up/dented/leaky FMF FATTY

Come on in, No registration needed.... Thinkin' about stepping up to the ultimate dirtbike? Ask any questions you need answered.

ALSO: Post anything your looking for, or that is taking up space and you want to get ride of.. ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE BETWEEN THE BUYER / SELLER!
qkenuf4u

beat up/dented/leaky FMF FATTY

Post by qkenuf4u »

it was on my 92 cr500 but i got the GNARLY to fit so this pipe can go away. its dented and someone drilled a hole thru the pipe at the back mount (the bolt would seal it up i think) :roll:
anyways 75$ shipped (make an offer/trade parts) and its yours.... it fit my bike nicely (slides right in place with ease) but again it leaks, has dents/cracks, and a crackhead drilled a hole in it... :?
heres a pic or 2 or 3 :) .....

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

run it, hahahha
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:run it, hahahha
its all good. the GNARLY fits now and i want the torque for street riding so this one can go away/outta my hair/garage.... :wink:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I tried both. And...

Fatty > Gnarly IMO. Really wakes up the 500 on mid/top, better than PC.

The 500 just wouldn't rev with the Gnarly on it.

Should sell as they are repairable.

G/L with the sale....
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

hoofarted wrote:I tried both. And...

Fatty > Gnarly IMO. Really wakes up the 500 on mid/top, better than PC.

The 500 just wouldn't rev with the Gnarly on it.

Should sell as they are repairable.

G/L with the sale....
i keep hearing that but it really seems weird.. put these pipes side by side and they look exaclty the same... shape, diameter, curves/bumps/dips etc.... :?:
if it dont sell ill keep it around and maybe have it fixed someday... :wink:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

I've done the side-by-side comparison also - really cannot tell the difference. But when properly mounted, there is a difference.
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

hoofarted wrote:I've done the side-by-side comparison also - really cannot tell the difference. But when properly mounted, there is a difference.
do you mean power wise or fitment wise ? mine fits exaclty the same as the fatty.... :?: (actually better since its not all beat up/bent/dented etc.) :lol:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

qkenuf4u wrote:
hoofarted wrote:I've done the side-by-side comparison also - really cannot tell the difference. But when properly mounted, there is a difference.
do you mean power wise or fitment wise ? mine fits exaclty the same as the fatty.... :?: (actually better since its not all beat up/bent/dented etc.) :lol:
Side by side off the bike comparisons. And mounted on the bike comparisons. If your pipe wasn't bent, it'd certainly fit better. There are differences in the shape of the expansion chamber. For a real kick, add the 250 ignition + fatty = fun times.

qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

actually the dented/beat up fatty fit perfect :lol: ... it was the nice clean GNARLY that didnt fit till i bent the pipe a 1/4-3/8" that it now fits perfect also... :wink:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i have the sme fitments, my fattys can be almost thrown at the bike, gnarly takes some messing with.
riverman

Fatty

Post by riverman »

I bought a real nice Fatty from a member. Tryed it on my build could not get it on. The old beat up Gnarly falls right on but I'll keep trying. Not really ready for it yet.Image[/img]
qkenuf4u

Re: Fatty

Post by qkenuf4u »

riverman wrote:I bought a real nice Fatty from a member. Tryed it on my build could not get it on. The old beat up Gnarly falls right on but I'll keep trying. Not really ready for it yet.[
thru mine in the vise and used the jack handle to bend it a tiny little bit... it bent alot easier than i thought it would but its on there and works very well.... :P
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

let me know :wink:
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:let me know :wink:
let you know what ????? :idea: :?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

let me know when you cant fit that fatty and are going to sell it :lol:
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:let me know when you cant fit that fatty and are going to sell it :lol:
like i said the FATTY falls on the bike without a hitch.. the GNARLY slides right on now also since i bent it that 3/8"....
dont really think im ever gonna need the FATTY since its on the street and i like the TORQUE factor of the GNARLY plus its all shiney and dent free..
make me an offer i cant refuse and it will be in the mail to ya tomorrow... :wink:
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

[quote="hoofarted For a real kick, add the 250 ignition + fatty = fun times.[/quote]

What does the 250 ignition accomplish? And if I understand correctly, the Gnarly is more tourque-y and the fatty revs higher or faster?
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Don't bother with the 250 ignition unless you have good health insurance. :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

The 250 ignition is the one true bolt on that "wakes up" the 500. Really makes it rev nicely, start easier, and pull like a freight train. The hot ticket was the 01 CR250 ignition because its digital. I went with a 93 version due to availability/cost and haven't looked back! :cool:

And with regards to pipes, the Gnarly does make good torque down low which is great for any tight ST riding needing slower speeds. But up top, it really falls on its face. The Fatty, on the other hand sacrifices a bit of torque but really wakes up the mid/top end - makes it perfect for open area riding where the bike will see lotsa speed. It still has plenty-o-torque for my liking as it pulls me around just fine.

Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

So, fatty and 250 ignition for the dunes, or do you need that grunt from the gnarley?
I've got all that stuff laying around right now.
But to be honest, I can't use all the power now.
I am planning a trip to a dune area that will probably be a regular ride spot next year.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

What all needs to be replaced to have true 250 ignition and what is the average cost?
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Tharrell wrote:So, fatty and 250 ignition for the dunes, or do you need that grunt from the gnarley?
I am planning a trip to a dune area that will probably be a regular ride spot next year.
Ya its good for the dunes - but I use that setup all over b/c I like the power. You can still use all the power. If its too much, its controlled by your right hand - just turn it off! :)
Crow500 wrote:What all needs to be replaced to have true 250 ignition and what is the average cost?
You need the CDI, Stator assembly, coil (optional). The older 250 (93-96) are all the same and truly bolt right up. I think I paid around $80 for the whole thing.

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

PStoffers has one for sale, check this section. $250.

Plan on doing some rejetting if you go down this road. I'd spend about 12 hours reading thru the NUMEROUS threads devoted to the subject first. Having a mellow CR5 is not a bad thing if you are not a power fiend.
zorak-2

Post by zorak-2 »

hoofarted wrote:
Tharrell wrote:So, fatty and 250 ignition for the dunes, or do you need that grunt from the gnarley?
Ya its good for the dunes - but I use that setup all over b/c I like the power. You can still use all the power. If its too much, its controlled by your right hand - just turn it off! :)
Crow500 wrote:What all needs to be replaced to have true 250 ignition and what is the average cost?
You need the CDI, Stator assembly, coil (optional). The older 250 (93-96) are all the same and truly bolt right up. I think I paid around $80 for the whole thing.

do you remember what your jet settings are? and what is the big advantage to it? and what is the total achievement to the change?
This site rocks
GEN 4 CRF500
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

zorak-2 wrote:
do you remember what your jet settings are? and what is the big advantage to it? and what is the total achievement to the change?
I didn't have to change jetting IIRC.

Big advantage has been covered above...easier starting, faster revs...more mid,top!