Reed recommendations

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
plynn41

Reed recommendations

Post by plynn41 »

What reeds for my '85/86 engine do you all recommend. The engine is new and hasn't been run yet. It will use a PC pipe, 41 PWK carb. The engine is ported and has no exhaust bridge..it should flow very well in and out. Exhaust is 190* and the transfers are 124*. Squish clearance is 1.2mm. I expect to be using race fuel.

The bike will be on the mx track exclusively, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roosty has a new reed connection.....

Cheap too.....
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

dont buy vf3. wont fit worth shit.
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

So I've heard. I'm waiting for Roosty to speak up here about the new product Bob mentioned! I've had OEM or Boyeson reeds for the stock cage in mind, but hope to get some insight from the rest of the hoons. I've got the '85 and '88 stock cages. Haven't put them side by side to see if they're the same.
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

When you slip the V3 into a stock CR500 jug, the "pedal stops" lightly touch the cylinder casting. Roosty gave me a 0.200" spacer to pull them back a little.

Without this spacer, the stops will close slightly during the last 0.180" of insertion, but you have twice the reed area, so how far you you think these things are really opening Clyde?

I dont think its the issue that Mr. Earthquake thinks it is.
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

I run the VF3 and LIKE IT! :lol: :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

84-88 are the same, theyre a longer reed than the 89+, i'll see what i can do for ya, might have a nice set in my spare stuff :roll:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bob i cant speculate how good/bad yours fit. but mine didnt just "slightly" get smashed....... they were smashed damn near on top of the reeds. caused enough concearn i personally called moto tassinari on the phone about the problem. took a good amount of force to get the whole cage inserted into the throat. the worst was the last little bit going in but they rubbed to some extent nearly from A to Z going in. mine are about 1 year old, maybe theres a new version that corrected the problem ? i dont have a answer why yours were smashed less. jug and cage were both brandspanking new. mototassinar has been wishy washy on these cr500 vf3. if you remeber back a while ago, some guys stuffers were too small for the manifold hole, mine and some other guys were too big. i seen a very recent pic of another cr500 vf3 and it "appears" the stuffer is even different again........ and it still dont even come close to matching the manifold hole. granted i never intended to use mine on a stock manifold, i had to modify the stuffer regardless but if i would of used it on a stock setup i would of been pissed i had to do extra grinding on a part that should of fit better. i wont mention the grinding in the throat that was required :x . how hard is it for them to buy a cheap ass used jug/manifold off ebay and make the frikin part correct ? ? piss poor job on the cr500 vf3 if you ask me
rsss396

Post by rsss396 »

I ran a VF2 but cant you shorten or remove the stopper on the VF3?

I had planned on removing the stopper for the center reeds on my VF2 reeds but kind of slipped my mind and never did it before the end of the season.

The Arctic Cat VF3 reeds that go on my Liger cylinder have no stoppers at all.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

shortening them may be possible. if i remember correct the back part of the flapper is what holds the reed onto the block, removing the back tab part would be out of the question. might be able to cut off the flappers and keep the end-tabs.

hey bob you figure out how to remove the reeds ?? that should keep ya scratching your head for a while :lol:
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

Roost, maybe it's in here some where and I'm not smart enough to find it but have you ever dynoed all the reed cages on a stock or modified motor to see if any of these reed cages are any better than stock with either stock reeds or aftermarket reed pedals on it?

I got to figure other than throttle response, the HP output on aftermarket reed cages is only going to worth a couple horse at best over stock?
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

I run the VF on my 87'. No fitment problems.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

LOVEMYCR500 wrote:Roost, maybe it's in here some where and I'm not smart enough to find it but have you ever dynoed all the reed cages on a stock or modified motor to see if any of these reed cages are any better than stock with either stock reeds or aftermarket reed pedals on it?

I got to figure other than throttle response, the HP output on aftermarket reed cages is only going to worth a couple horse at best over stock?
true there isnt much gain in numbers just changing materials, but the charachteristic of delivery is what the reed will change.

once you start into porting the reed boot and modifying the cage you can gain more