AlisoBob's Gen 4 A/F Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
britincali

Post by britincali »

1. If the piston was measured prior to boreing how was the coating not accounted for?

2. Isnt it bad to put holes in an already fragile cast piston?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

britincali wrote:1. If the piston was measured prior to boreing how was the coating not accounted for?
Irrelivant
All pistons are made to fit in bores that are finished 89,89.25,89.50........91.00

custom clearences and the obvious check of the piston to make sure its not packaged wrong provide a spec on the pistons size.
Vertex lists the piston dimension in the book, and the bore size its to fit, then figuring that mainly men will be dooing the work and not read the book its also marked ontop of the piston, 90.00 (inteded bore) and 89.94(piston size) so its giving itself a clearence of .0024"
vertex is thee only brand of piston that i'll bore a cylinder for and send it accross the country with out ever having the piston on hand, and figuring that the customers piston hasnt been damaged from his supplier to him, its correct.

in other words, if the bore is to be the next vertex size larger than 89.50mm, it should be 90mm, not 89.99mm or 90.01
britincali

Post by britincali »

Learn something new everyday....

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

britincali wrote:Learn something new everyday....
so have I Thanks
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
britincali

Post by britincali »

Those transfers look completly stock (can still see the casting roughness on the sleeve and jug) I dont think anything has been ported there :? :?

Is that the way they are from factory?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Those transfers look completly stock
just had my jug off and mine is way rougher
so they had something done to them
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on January 26th, 2011, 1:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i rekon the piston should drop right in with few hammer whacks :lol:. nice variable transfers btw :D :lol:
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

it looks like the someone forgot or didnt have time to smooth out the rear right port (for free) which explains the 1/2 mm difference, or it could be suposed to be that way, if you look at eric gorrs book it says cr80s came like that and those motors still are better everywhere than most powervalved 80s, so it could be glens secret

as for the moly if glen says its good then slap it together and then decide if you are unhappy... expecting ride report tomorow
im sure if it seizes because of a weird shaped cyl he will fix it for free
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on September 28th, 2010, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:Issue #4 is head. Its beautiful....
but Glen marked it as having 0.124" milled off, and the quench recut. Will it run on pump gas? I sure hope so. Glen said its right on the fine line of needing race gas. That not what I wanted at all.
didnt notice at first glance the lip step thingy. guess its the quench ?

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

2strokeforever wrote:
it looks like the someone forgot or didnt have time to smooth out the rear right port (for free) which explains the 1/2 mm difference, or it could be suposed to be that way, if you look at eric gorrs book it says cr80s came like that and those motors still are better everywhere than most powervalved 80s, so it could be glens secret
huh ? i never read the book but seen various quotes that people have posted. wheres this book ? most likely you interpreted wrong what it said. transfer ports can open/close at different times on the same side... as youve seen from the cpi graph i posted..... but the opposing port on the opposite side will mimic it. make sense ?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

2strokeforever wrote:
just had my jug off and mine is way rougher
so they had something done to them
wrong. brit is right. not often hes right this time he is :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:
britincali wrote:1. If the piston was measured prior to boreing how was the coating not accounted for?
Irrelivant
All pistons are made to fit in bores that are finished 89,89.25,89.50........91.00

custom clearences and the obvious check of the piston to make sure its not packaged wrong provide a spec on the pistons size.
Vertex lists the piston dimension in the book, and the bore size its to fit, then figuring that mainly men will be dooing the work and not read the book its also marked ontop of the piston, 90.00 (inteded bore) and 89.94(piston size) so its giving itself a clearence of .0024"
vertex is thee only brand of piston that i'll bore a cylinder for and send it accross the country with out ever having the piston on hand, and figuring that the customers piston hasnt been damaged from his supplier to him, its correct.

in other words, if the bore is to be the next vertex size larger than 89.50mm, it should be 90mm, not 89.99mm or 90.01
piston should slide through the bore. with or without the fukkin coating. what good is a coating if the mother fuker wears off first 20 seconds you fire it up because the son of a bitch was bored wrong :roll:. for hells sakes dude, your supposed to be the canadian engine master, would you put a piston in if the damn thing wouldnt slide down ?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sorry for getting pizzed but this is irritating. most of you guys are probly real smart but say stupid shit sometimes. think about this stuff, alot of it is 3rd grade common sense. dont need a damn college degree :?

1- piston supposed to slide all the way through the hole, coating or no coating... period. if not then the machinist is a jackass.

2- opposing ports should mimic each other.... period

3- dont have a fuggin clue why that step ledge thing is in bobs head. shouldnt be like that though.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Here are the tops of the transfers. The right side isnt visable, the main intake in the center is, and the left side transfers are clearly open.

WTF does a base gasket, rings, or rod have to do with in Glen?

The piston is tightly stuck in the bore, no way any piston rocking is going to occur.

Look back at the other photos, you can see where the piston is cam ground, and the coating is already off exposing bare aluminum.

I'm taking you up on your deal Glen, send me a new cylinder , piston, and head and I'll return everything to you. You have my address.

You call me a whiner, because you did all this work for me for free? That somehow gives you the go-ahead to do half assed work and removes my ability to comment honestly about it? Beleive me Glen, had I paid for this, I would have had even bigger issues with this.

Glen, you begged me for a long time to do this, I never asked... thats the truth.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

glen howell wrote:I think if I was him and that unhappy with the work I would send it back and accept my offer to replace with new parts ,a new head,a new cylinder,a new piston. Which would be a good deal for him since his cylinder is a 60 thousands over and he would be getting a new std cyl and head

Send it, I already boxed the stuff up to send back to you.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

holy shit stains batman :shock: . them transfers are really fukked. :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

By the way Glen.... the cylinder is 1mm over ( 90 mm)

1 mm over is 0.40", not 0.60" over...... but whos counting.

Am I being too picky on the fact too?
britincali

Post by britincali »

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

any chance of a quick ride report before sending it back ? :lol: :lol: :D
britincali

Post by britincali »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

funny thing i typed train wreck and same photo pops right up :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:any chance of a quick ride report before sending it back ? :lol: :lol: :D
I want nothing to do with it..... Glen can have it back.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

just real fast. around the neighbor hood ? :lol: :lol: