Ultra reliable toyotas

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
britincali

Ultra reliable toyotas

Post by britincali »

Our dealer trade driver was on her way back to us with a brand new tundra, roughly 60 miles from the dealer she hears a loud banging and starts to loose power..... bang knock pop fizz and shes now stuck on the side of the freeway with smoke billowing from the hood!!!!!!!!!

I dont know whats wrong with it but it dont sound good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just found out there a big pool of oil and coolant dribbling into traffic :shock: :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

when you talk about toyotas, i think most of the mishaps can be translated to operator/owners lack of maintenance. i got a chrysler/mitsubishi engine, just went over 280,000 miles and its has slightly bent frame, and a front end crash it went through. and theres many more stories like mine. can a new toyota fail ?...probly doesnt happen often
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I have a red 1983 Toyota SR5 4x4 truck that has been thru Hell and back again, has a gazillion miles on it, leaks oil everywhere, ( i tell folks its just marking its territory !! ) and believe it or not but the A/C still blows ice cold and every dash gauge and light still works on the little fucker. Thats the honest truth !!
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

I can tell the exact same story about my friends NEW Duramax deisel. He was pulling a trailer up a long grade at about 80mph, when BOOM! The engine went kaput. Not neccesarily the norm, but it happens to all brands. Yota has built a strong reputation for reliability, but, they have had plenty of issues in the past(remember the 3.0 V6 of the early 90's), and I'm sure the future too. The big 3 have had alot of trouble in past decades with reliability, and have made good progress lately with engines and drivetrains. That doesn't mean everything they sell is flawless though. The 1/2 ton market was untapped by foreign manafacturers until Nissans Titan and now the Tundra, and I know that the big 3 are feeling the hurt. They survive on loyalty, and the fact that for power and vehicle size/weight, many users can't settle for the imports. You just can't tow a 45 foot toy hauler with a half ton import, you gotta have a heavy rig with a long wheelbase and a massive drivetrain. The Tundra is getting very close, and the new Titan diesel will be darn good too.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Tow truck just pulled in, motor is locked solid and there's oil everywhere!

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

Oil level is low and milky, milk inside the oil cap and no coolant in the radiator oh and did I mention LOCKED SOLID with 99 miles on the ODO.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

britincali wrote:Oil level is low and milky, milk inside the oil cap and no coolant in the radiator oh and did I mention LOCKED SOLID with 99 miles on the ODO.
You lying. You know its really a Ford! :lol:
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

bummer
97af

Post by 97af »

Its the drivers fault imo.The truck was obviously not given the customary "I'll never own it,race only break in procedure".She probably only ran the thing at 1700 rpm and obey'd the posted legal freeway speed limit...... :lol:
britincali

Post by britincali »

97af wrote:Its the drivers fault imo.The truck was obviously not given the customary "I'll never own it,race only break in procedure".She probably only ran the thing at 1700 rpm and obey'd the posted legal freeway speed limit...... :lol:

It might be her fault, I looked over the truck and saw the 4x4 selector was in 4 low.........

I wonder if she was doing 6500RPM all the way back :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

britincali wrote:
97af wrote:Its the drivers fault imo.The truck was obviously not given the customary "I'll never own it,race only break in procedure".She probably only ran the thing at 1700 rpm and obey'd the posted legal freeway speed limit...... :lol:

It might be her fault, I looked over the truck and saw the 4x4 selector was in 4 low.........

how could even the dumbest of retards not know it was in 4low? and how did it get in 4low. not sure what the new toyaotas ratio is in 4low, but the older trucks like fords were a 2:1 reduction...that engine was spinning faster then 6500 i bet :doh:...over revved it, over heated it, cooked the head gasket, filled the engine with water, KABOOM :rotfl:. keep me updated on this story and how it plays out
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

britincali wrote:

Hmmmmm this story just got interesting......keep us posted on the out come.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

100hp honda wrote:
how could even the dumbest of retards not know it was in 4low? and how did it get in 4low. not sure what the new toyaotas ratio is in 4low, but the older trucks like fords were a 2:1 reduction...that engine was spinning faster then 6500 i bet :doh:...over revved it, over heated it, cooked the head gasket, filled the engine with water, KABOOM :rotfl:. keep me updated on this story and how it plays out
I think I can answer that. The main reason I don't like the new breed of "4x4" is the stupid electronic transfer case selector. It's a little knob on the dash, she prolly just fliped it on thinking it was a volume control for the radio. :lol: And naturally, it was an automatic tranny, so she had no idea, just thought it was losing power. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

remeber when you had to get outside and turn a huge fuggin knob on the axle then get back inside and pull a big metal lever. they dont make them like they used to. vehicle manufacturers have wussyfied trucks to accomidate the city slicker mother fockers :bash:
ouch360

Post by ouch360 »

When towing a 4 wheel drive vehicle the transmition is set in neutral and the transfer case should be set in 4low - or 4high. doing this may seem dumb - but with the newer vehicles the trans needs to rotate to be oiled and on a 4 wheel drive the only way to do this is to leave the transfer in gear while towing. The drive line will spin and not send rotations to the motor. The only way to get away from having to do this is to take the rear drive line out. By doing this the trans and transfer have no reason to spin for oil. It was probably the tow truck driver that put it in gear.
!!OUCH - Being the best is easy when its already in you!!
britincali

Post by britincali »

All of our tow trucks are flatbeds.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i towed my older ford 4x4 800miles without disconecting the driveline..NOT a good idea. it burnt the 90wt transfer gear oil and melted the speedometer gear. towing a 4x4 only 10-20miles theres no need to disconect anything but going any farther and disconecting the driveline is a must. or use flatbed truck is the best option. just my experiences
britincali

Post by britincali »

Update!

They started stripping the truck today, they pulled 2 pistons and two shattered rods out from the skid plate, its got 2 decent sized holes in the block :shock: (BTW it looks like the rods are powdered metal and they look really flimsy).

The new longblock at OUR COST through parts is almost $20,000 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Its gonna be an expensive fix :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok