installing greese fittings on stock linkage/shock

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
seanmx57

installing greese fittings on stock linkage/shock

Post by seanmx57 »

I got my stuff back from a revavle/rebuild recently. FC (factory connection) changed the top spherical bearings on both shocks I sent. I didn't think it was necessary as they didn't seem loose. The new ones are teflon coated. Supposedly they don't need greese. We know how that story goes, In a year I'll be replacing again if I don't greese them. So I went about greesing them. Pretty tuff to do when new for sure.

Has anyone ever set up the top of a shock for a zerk? The sperical bearings on my excavator have 4 holes in the center of the race and a groove for the greese to travel from the zerk to the bearing. Drilling and tapping the shock would be np, it's aluminum. The bearing at a minumum would need 1 hole but would be better w/ the excavator design or a groove in the shock and 4 holes in the race. I'd probably have to rig a jig and get a good bit to drill the race if it's hardened or take them to a machinist. I don't know if it would ruin the bearing if the bit went too far or not. I have the old ones to experiment.

I have never done anything w/ pivot works stuff, I keep my bike well greesed. If my memory serves me correctly there kit is set up for zerks. How hard would it be to convert stock linkage and swingarm to zerks?
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

you would have to machine a groove in the sleeves, and also flip the seals, so the grease can push contaminants out I would imagine
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

older ktm bikes have a zerk in the bottom shperical bearing. works pretty damn nice. i havent taken the bearing out so im not exactly sure how they went about it though.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

An aftermarket company makes a bolt with a zerk fitting that will grease the bearing on KTM's know. Just came out in the last year.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

There's a guy on the Yahoo 480 forum that had new linkages made just for that. He did machine a groove like you said. Well, he had them made.
He's got a blog that details his restoration with all the details.

Here's his blog.

http://1983cr480.blogspot.com/