Steelie to AF Chamber Modification

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
FZ1426

Steelie to AF Chamber Modification

Post by FZ1426 »

OK experts.... I was talking to a guy at Service Honda about what parts I would need to send them to build me an AF.

He said the FMF Gnarly that's currently on my '01 steelie wouldn't work and that they fit their own custom pipes.

Shurely they must start with a standard pipe and modify it. What has to be done to fit a steelie pipe to a CRF250 framed AF?
'06 CRF450R, '02 R1, '11 YZ450F
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Service Honda just wants to put on a pipe that is allready "set up" for the way they make their bikes. (mounts, mounting locations, brackets, and gromets) they don't want to have to mod your pipe when they allready have some "set up".

Sure you could modify your Gnarly to fit with Probably shortening it a little and moving the rear mount. But if you are capable of doing that you should just build your own bike :wink: :idea:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

The pipe basically fits up on an AF. you have to carefully cut off the rear mount and maybe have to mod the front mount a bit. But its really quite simple. Save yourself some $$ and do it yourself. BTW, your steely is super clean - you getting ready to AF it?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

FZ1426

Post by FZ1426 »

hoofarted wrote:The pipe basically fits up on an AF. you have to carefully cut off the rear mount and maybe have to mod the front mount a bit. But its really quite simple. Save yourself some $$ and do it yourself. BTW, your steely is super clean - you getting ready to AF it?
Yeah, an AF would be cool...and I may do it someday, but it would be kinda a shame to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle just to have another one that's only aesthetically better for twice the cost.

I can ride my steelie back to back with my CRF450 and it handles damn near as well. I would say it turns even better. It's just not as fun to ride (MX)...and, I'm going out on a limb here... because of of the nasty ass characteristics of the motor...

I tell myself I'm just keeping the 500 because it's a great "desert" bike, like for just hauling ass across the desert. Problem is I hardly ever go to the desert anymore.
'06 CRF450R, '02 R1, '11 YZ450F
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Seems like a waste, to rip apart 2 running bikes for 1 conversion.
I've built complete bikes from scrounged-up parts. It takes time, but well worth the effort in the end.

Score some cheap parts from other members and assemble a 3rd bike.
It'd be a helluva collection to have a 500 steelie, the 450.....and a 500 conversion.

As for the pipe?
I went w/a Gnarly for my 2nd gen 125.

Had to section the pipe along the welds, rotate the cone, and reweld it along the same seams.
I guess it would've fit ok, I just didn't care to have the stinger running off-center.

.Image

.Image

Good luck man.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F