My latest purchase

Use some common sense ....
cowboyona426

My latest purchase

Post by cowboyona426 »

I picked this bike up a few weeks back

It's a 90 model but somewhere along the way it ended up in a 98 frame so its titled as a 98. The PO bought it in pieces, rebuilt the motor, went thru the entire chassis and had the frame repainted with automotive paint. Got it together and realized it was stuck in gear, decided he didn't have the heart to pull it apart again so he sold it to me. When we were discussing it and I told him I was interested, he said he wanted to get the $500 he was into it back out of it. I offered him $650 if he would meet me the next day with it and he gladly accepted.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Your stoked, I have one of those 1990 bikes as my sand scoot....the stock 1990 suspension sucks so I put on later model stuff but I like that color scheme...mine still has the white frame and title to match.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

Rhino89523 wrote:Your stoked, I have one of those 1990 bikes as my sand scoot....the stock 1990 suspension sucks so I put on later model stuff but I like that color scheme...mine still has the white frame and title to match.
I have 98 model suspension I picked up for my 91 that I might put on it. I also have 08 CRF 250 suspension that the guy hasn't paid me for yet that I may just keep now that I have 2 bikes. The shock will take some tweaking to work in the steelie chassis but I could always just throw the forks on and worry about the shock later.
The more this bike is around the more it grows on me. I wish I knew why the frame has been swapped but everything is tight and excluding the rear fender even the plastics are in good shape. It has a nice stock pipe on it too which is a bonus. Originally my plan was to flip it but I don't think it's going anywhere in the near future :D If I like it enough I'll probably sell my 06 YZ-F and go back to 2 strokes after 14 years on Yamaha thumpers.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

The rear shock on the early bikes isn't all that bad...the forks suck. I thought since mine was just going to be ridden once or twice a year in the sand dunes the forks wouldnt bother me...it's just sand right? wrong first trip to the dunes I knew those were coming off. I liked the finish and that the bike was bone stock, after first run the forks got stacked in the corner with some of my other forks and a set of reworked 97 up stuff was bolted on...total game changer. This is how it looked when I got done cleaning it all up...now it has bars and risers on it so I can ride it and it sits on a paddle year round.

cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

That's a nice looking bike rhino!
If the shock is tolerable maybe I'll see about locating another set of 97+ forks and triples for this bike. I was going to try it with the stock forks like you did, but if you had that bad of an experience maybe I'll save myself the trouble. I need to get some wrench time so I can figure out the shifting issue and get it operational.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Man the first time I rode it, it didn't seem that bad because we had a huge windstorm the day before I hit Sand Mountain...like I said this thing only rides in the sand, unless my real CR blows and then I pull this motor until my other is worked out. The second time I rode it was the day after a big weekend and there were some trenches from some of the bad boy rails and it was horrible and scary. Third time I put the big risers, ATV bend bars and 97 up suspension and I loved it, the chop was no problem. 97 up forks are so cheap now, they just don't have the same gold annodizing I liked on those 90's forks.......but I still fell like a fat old school pimp on the thing. I'm glad I kept it, I bought it for the motor to run one year at Hoonfest and kept the roller because the best offer I got on the thing was like $200 so I decided to find another backup motor and put this back together.

It still gets parted from time to time but I put it back together before each dune run.
cowboyona426

Post by cowboyona426 »

Rhino89523 wrote:Man the first time I rode it, it didn't seem that bad because we had a huge windstorm the day before I hit Sand Mountain...like I said this thing only rides in the sand, unless my real CR blows and then I pull this motor until my other is worked out. The second time I rode it was the day after a big weekend and there were some trenches from some of the bad boy rails and it was horrible and scary. Third time I put the big risers, ATV bend bars and 97 up suspension and I loved it, the chop was no problem. 97 up forks are so cheap now, they just don't have the same gold annodizing I liked on those 90's forks.......but I still fell like a fat old school pimp on the thing. I'm glad I kept it, I bought it for the motor to run one year at Hoonfest and kept the roller because the best offer I got on the thing was like $200 so I decided to find another backup motor and put this back together.

It still gets parted from time to time but I put it back together before each dune run.
Finding a complete 97+ setup with all the needed parts seems to be the challenge. I gave $400 for the parts I bought for my 91 but that included everything- forks, triples, axle, wheel, caliper carrier and the shock as well.
16 YZ 450FX
01 XR 400R
98 CR 500R
91 CR 500R
95 CR 250R
98 WR 250Z
91 XR 200R