1985 CR500 track vids

Use some common sense ....
Tharrell

1985 CR500 track vids

Post by Tharrell »

I found this guys youtube page a while back.
He's put a few nice vids of his bike on it.
Don't know if he's a member here or not.
He's got some skills and his bike sounds good to me.
Several other vids on his channel.

Short helmet cam perspective of crash at the end of the vid above.
jumpingjoe628

Post by jumpingjoe628 »

Thanks Tharrell, here's my latest edition. Me chasing one of the faster guys on a YZ450F.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRObSOS- ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Life is short, ride hard.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I got that vid in my email this morning.
Is your bike stock, particularly the suspension?
What's the jetting on your bike?
I rode my '85 for 2 minutes when I traded for it and then tore it down to refurbish.
It's waiting on paint right now but, it's had a lot of engine mods and has an Ohlins shock on it.
I won't (can't!) put it through the paces like you but I am certainly looking forward to getting it in the lineup with my '82 and '92 bigbores.
:)

btw-We're renting Devils Ridge in Sanford NC this saturday if you want to bring the '85 up and play. Vintage, post vintage and pre modern bikes only.
jumpingjoe628

Post by jumpingjoe628 »

I'd love to come up there to try a new track but money is getting really tight and it's quite a haul for me at around 4 hrs. I am also posting my 85 on CL, I have no choice. Once I get things in order I will be re doing the drive system on my AF so I can ride again.

The suspension is mostly stock on my steely except for 30w engine oil in the forks. I even have Race tech emulators that I never installed cause I am a little skeptical about cutting up the internals. It says I have to remove (cut away) the compression valve and drill out the compression holes in the damper rod. Then it makes it so there is no more external adjustment but way more range internally by tightening the tiny preload spring on the new valve. I still have some clickers left in both the front and rear so I'm really happy with it the way it is.

I have a Rad Valve, DG pipe and silencer, Renthal bars and newer tires on it. Other than that the engine has some extensive port work, 2mm up on exhaust and 1.5mm wider, the intake was smoothed and transfers were matched at the cases while the exhaust port, gasket and manifold header were polished like a mirrior. Jetting is 175 main, 62 pilot, #6 slide #1472 needle (2nd clip pos) and the air screw gets adjusted on a daily basis but is within 1/2 turn of the stock 1 1/2 setting.
homenf

Post by homenf »

Impressive! I'll be looking for the vids you may have riding the AF. I can only imagine. :shock: :D
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

homenf wrote:Impressive! I'll be looking for the vids you may have riding the AF. I can only imagine. :shock: :D
YUP!
I wanna see'em too! :) :cool:
jumpingjoe628

Post by jumpingjoe628 »

You can say the AF is more stable....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w90cMnAUcQ&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Doing some MX lessons for a friend on a CRF250. He's only 16 and been riding for a year. I wanted to get some footage of him from behind so he could see himself but every now and then I take off and have some fun....I couldn't resist.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezyar8GvsXs&feature=plcp[/youtube]
homenf

Post by homenf »

What do ya charge for lessons? :D You sure can fly.
94 CR125
06 CR500AF

"I'd give you my two cents on this hope and change thing, but I can't afford to anymore."
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

homenf wrote:What do ya charge for lessons? :D You sure can fly.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's what I was thinking too. I tried my best to get him up here this saturday for some free lessons!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jumpingjoe628

Post by jumpingjoe628 »

I really wish I had the means to make it up there this sat Tharrell, I want to ride again real bad. Its hard to resist the 85 when looking at it all shiny in the garage but the AF needs some parts. Without a job I gotta sell my 85 to make rent and buy parts. If anything I may go to Palmetto again with some friends to advertise the bike. Lol, everyone there knows me and the bike now and seen the videos. Everyone here is sooo nice, not like back up north. Very easy to make friends here. I never really got my MX School off the ground yet, I wouldn't even know what to charge people. I can provide everything from starts, jumping, cornering techniques, exercise and nutritional diets.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I saw your ad on craigslist.
Unfortunately, I already have an '85.
You might try putting it on Marks Swapmeet though.
http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi
It's all about vintage bikes and stuff.
The '85 is considered pre modern by AHRMA, that's one reason I got mine.
jumpingjoe628

Post by jumpingjoe628 »

I'll check it out after I get my internet fixed tomorrow. Just a pain to use my phone. Thanks!
homenf

Post by homenf »

Throw it in the shoppers section on this site. Lots of good guys on here that know lots of other people.

Plus the videos on here show it breaths fire.
94 CR125
06 CR500AF