High-power laser pointers?

Use some common sense ....
NightBiker07

High-power laser pointers?

Post by NightBiker07 »

does anyone here have one? I've been considering buying a 1000mW blue laser, I could have a lot of fun with it. On the flipside, these things are extremely dangerous. could literally poke your eye out a mile away.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IAvoPQ ... re=related[/youtube]
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

kipkay shows you how to make some decent ones cheap with old blueray disk burners :wink:
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:kipkay shows you how to make some decent ones cheap with old blueray disk burners :wink:
Blu-ray laser diodes are about 250-300mW.

I wont buy one from Wicked Lasers, they have a horrible reputation for taking a month+ for you to receive your item. But, the best videos I have found feature WL products, and their products ARE sharp to say the least.

You can pick up a nice 1000mW laser with rechargeable batteries in a nice flashlight-style case for 150 ish dollars. Wont be for a while though.

I wouldnt mind having their flashlight either.....4500 Lumens.....Typical 100 watt lightbulb is around 800 lumens. I have a 1000 Lumen T6 LED flashlight that runs about an hour per charge, and it is BLINDING bright. Awesome for being outside/in the shed when its dark. And at 27 bucks on Ebay, cant go wrong. Only problem is, it was 27 bucks for the light, 2 batteries and the charger. You cant run the light for longer than 5-6 minutes at a time unless you want to risk overheating the diode. But, if you want 100% duty cycle, fork out 100 bucks.

I tore it apart and wrapped the bulb case with a cut-up pop can and re-assembled it (the bulb case was a TIGHT fit back into the light) and the heat dissipation is much better now, I can go about 10 minutes at a time.
Last edited by NightBiker07 on January 20th, 2012, 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

ok, I want that laser too :lol:

I'll link you to a light that i bought, the best lights we've ever seen.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:ok, I want that laser too :lol:

I'll link you to a light that i bought, the best lights we've ever seen.
Do you have the link? That thing is awesome. I wonder what it would do to skin? I don't know who I could get to try it though. The other question is, when it was turned on to cut the tape and burn the match, what was it hitting downrange? Maybe since it said focusing beam, the only area of danger was within an inch or so.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

dammn,no. since when does ebay delete the purchased items history so soon :roll:
I'll look it up by paypal, but that will take a bit of hunting
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

You need to change your eBay history search parameters, supposedly it is now going to have all purchase history indefinitely available, just need to expand the date range when searching.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

k