2001 CR 500AF suspension upgrade?

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
BIGGUNCR500

2001 CR 500AF suspension upgrade?

Post by BIGGUNCR500 »

I have a 2001 CR250 roller that I am converting to a 500AF. Is there any newer model suspension - forks or shock that will bolt
on ? And, if you made these mods, was it worth it?

Thanks
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

I have a 01 cr250 frame and you can get good results with valving and getting springs for your weight.
Kevin
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

freeride588 wrote:I have a 01 cr250 frame and you can get good results with valving and getting springs for your weight.
X2 I ride the same chassis.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

BIGGUNCR500

Post by BIGGUNCR500 »

Thanks,
I was going that direction, but as I took the bike apart, I found that the shock linkage did not fit right - too small, and I became concerned that the shock was not the original either. Before I knew about the linkage, I took the shock in to be sprung and re-valved (a month ago), and since it is still not done, I'm going to tell the guy to hold up and I'll try to find the part #s for the shock and see what I have. I was just planning ahead in case I do need to look at replacing the shock, and if I did that, changing the forks is something I would consider too if it is worth the trouble.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

did you get it sorted out?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
BIGGUNCR500

Post by BIGGUNCR500 »

Yeah, I got it handled, confirmed that the shock was the right one, re-sprung and re-valved it. The genius that had the bike before me pinched the fork tubes when he put on the fork guards - they have a bolt that is longer than the other two and he forced it in a hole where it did not belong and pinched the fork tube - I couldn't remove the springs w/o spending a lot of $ so my suspension guy "packed" the stock springs and hopefully they will work as he days they should.
Just got everything back last weekend, I plan on assembling the bike over the next few weekends (stripped down to the frame) but I work a lot, so as long as it is ready to go by October or so, I'm good.