$200 1986 cr500

Recount your rebuilds here!
kelroy_leon

$200 1986 cr500

Post by kelroy_leon »

i just picked up an 86' cr500 that is really clean! ill get pics up soon but im looking for some older parts that might be in someones garage. im looking for some old acerbis grey fork protectors and the front master cyl guard.
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
kelroy_leon

water pump

Post by kelroy_leon »

i will try and get pics up later but at the moment i have a question. the water pump housing portion of my side case is swiss cheesed on the 86. cant i just run one of my 90 side covers for now? i have an extra 90 engine that i could take parts off of. that would let me run the larger clutch pack right? i may have to modify my rear brake lever a bit. would a 90 cr 250 side case be the same as a 90 500? would that one work on my 86? other than this issue, some new sneakers were the only thing the bike needed. thanks for any info
kelroy_leon

86' 500

Post by kelroy_leon »

Image[/img]
i have all the factory plastics and the original seat in great shape. id love to keep it true 86' but the 86' side cover is a bit to much $$$ for me right now. i still have had no luck finding grey acerbis fork guards.[/img]
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Use your 90 cover, just clearance issue with brake pedal.
Maybe clearance with hose and exhaust. :?:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

you picked up a CR500 for 200 bucks?!!

you cant find those bikes around here hardly ever, and there always at LEAST 1500 bucks
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

$200 is awesome deal. clean all the grime off it and youll have a fine machine :cool:
Wheelie-Gene

Re: 86' 500

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

kelroy_leon wrote:Image[/img]
i have all the factory plastics and the original seat in great shape. id love to keep it true 86' but the 86' side cover is a bit to much $$$ for me right now. i still have had no luck finding grey acerbis fork guards.[/img]
I have an early cover. I'll have to see what shape it's in.
Any chance you'd swap it for a later 2-piece???
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

sent a p/m. its getting closer by the day. i have been tracking down some oe parts like levers, springs little stuff. i had been trying to find gold renthal cr high bars but had no luck. went with a set of tag bars instead. havent used that brand before. also been looking for some 86' team honda pics to see what sponsor stickers they were running back then, could anyone give me a hand with that ? i would love to run a disc on the back and make more of a david bailey bike out of it. also, if anyone has an old white acerbis cable guide and would like to part with it let me know.
thanks
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

just got in from trying something out. as i was sitting on the 86' it felt a bit cramped even with the cr high bends. my brother told me about an old article in wich they swapped the top tripple clamp with one from an 86' cr 125. it gives me about 7/8" stretch plus a little more height. they did the pegs as well. so the tripple is done and i will get the pegs on tomorrow. should be an inch lower and an inch to the rear. i think this combo will work out great for me since im not the shortest or smallest of persons.
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

a little bit of an update. i found a place on the east coast the had 2 1986 cr500 crank case covers in stock. the price was fair so i ordered one on the spot. the 2 case were at a honda parts place is iowa i think. i tell the guy that i would like one since there is only 2 left anywhere. ok, all set he tells me, this must be your lucky day :D . thats what i thought, all was going well so one day i called them and asked out of curiousity about the shipping on my order. the best part is, that in the time between calls i had called just to confirm, pn 11340-ka5-690 correct ? yep, thats what it is he tells me. well it looks as if the item you have on order is no longer available ???? um, but you confirmed my order and it was in stock ? twice even ?? oh, um, when did you call me and order it ? the 21st... oh,..... well i didnt process the orderrrrrr... "slightly muffled" until the 27th. if any of you have been in this type of situation, im sure you know how i was ready to react... no need to bore you with the remaining details. the current fix will be: 1990 cr500 cover, take a brake pedal off of the 86 cr125 donor so i can avoid the clearance issues and not mess up the original 500 parts and last, go to my local auto zone and have the guy look at me like im an idiot when i tell him i need to look at heater hoses. what kind of car? no car, a bike. a bike ? what bike has a heater ? are you kidding me ? :shock:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

kelroy_leon wrote: go to my local auto zone and have the guy look at me like im an idiot when i tell him i need to look at heater hoses. what kind of car? no car, a bike. a bike ? what bike has a heater ? are you kidding me ? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope you didn't take the time to explain it to him. :roll: :roll:
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I had the exact same problem. Ifact the last time I went looking for some bent heater hose (gen-4) I just walked right into the back where the hoses are and when the guy approached me I said "its cool man, I'm just looking for a hose" :lol:
he didn't know what to say, so he just said "okay"
:lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i seen at checker theres a new coil spring that goes inside the hose at the bend to keep it from kinking. looks pretty cool.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

dannygraves wrote:I had the exact same problem. Ifact the last time I went looking for some bent heater hose (gen-4) I just walked right into the back where the hoses are and when the guy approached me I said "its cool man, I'm just looking for a hose" :lol:
he didn't know what to say, so he just said "okay"
:lol:

Now, why doesn't this surprise me. :roll:

Sometimes the only way to get something done properly, is to do it yourself. :wink:

It is also quicker with less stress. :D
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

update,
put the 90' cover on my 86'. brake pedal clears but the pipe had been tweaked. it needed a little help but it wasnt too bad. a clean straight pipe should clear, might need just a little help. does anyone have a 85'-88' pipe out there ? other than some minor tlc and some new sneakers it hasnt needed much. im still looking for a 85'-87' front number plate, can someone help me out ?
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

jEsTer

Post by jEsTer »

Lookin sweet! Makes me miss my old '86... But I sold it to my buddy, so I still get to ride it from time to time... Are you still lookin for more parts? He has a small stockpile of spares, so I can see what he would be willing to part with. Also one little trick goodie I did before I sold it was too put '01 500 stock pegs on it. Made a huge difference, and If I remember right it didn't take much to get them to fit. Oh and I think I had to drill a new hole for the return spring. I got a pic of the "mod" around here somewhere, I'll try to find it for ya!

Keep it up man, that bike is a ton 'o fun!
-Brad-
2001 CR500 Steelie
1999 FXSTB Custom
2004 BMW X5
1994 Ranger Prerunner
1999 XR70
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

If the mount on the frame is the same as an 88 CR500, the pegs will fit without any mods. ( 01 CR500 pegs that is. )
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
RideRed

Post by RideRed »

CR500R7 wrote:
kelroy_leon wrote: go to my local auto zone and have the guy look at me like im an idiot when i tell him i need to look at heater hoses. what kind of car? no car, a bike. a bike ? what bike has a heater ? are you kidding me ? :shock:

I hope you didn't take the time to explain it to him. :roll: :roll:
That's soo true! :lol:
I find it funny when you go into the auto parts store and ask for something simple like a air filter or a heater core, and they always ask if it's a 4x4...
I say: "No, those are always $20.00 more." The smarter guys get mad, and the simple ones agree with me, without question! :lol:

BTW: Great score on the CR500!!! Restore it or make it an AF, but don't leave it be...
ScooterCR500

Re: 86' 500

Post by ScooterCR500 »

kelroy_leon wrote:Image[/img]
I had the very same thing occur on my 85. Oil seal leaks and mixes with anit-freeze and makes some type of "aluminum eater" liquid. I bought a new side case 200 bones...dang..
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i used 1999 250 pegs on my 87 500 with a pin swap
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

so that means i should be able to use the pegs from the 99' 125 right ?
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Cool deal man.
I've always loved the red/gold scheme.....reminds me of David Bailey.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

THANKS!
That is what I am aiming for! I still need some old grey acerbis protectors and a white acerbis cable guide. Anyone, anyone ??
kelroy_leon

Post by kelroy_leon »

Today I am going to try and fit some gen 1 pegs on the 86'. I have the front end off of the 85' currently. I may just run my set of 87' showas on it for now. Does anyone out there have a decent 85' seat that they want to part with ?