2001 CR 250 Froks On 1990 CR 500!

Recount your rebuilds here!
mike hunt

2001 CR 250 Froks On 1990 CR 500!

Post by mike hunt »

I've been told that a 2001 Cr 250 front end will fit on the 1990 CR 500. Any truth to this or has anyone actually done this? Thanks!
bigpower

Re: 2001 CR 250 Froks On 1990 CR 500!

Post by bigpower »

mike hunt wrote:I've been told that a 2001 Cr 250 front end will fit on the 1990 CR 500. Any truth to this or has anyone actually done this? Thanks!
Old post, but you can put just about any front end on there you want.

2 ways to go about it

First, there is the All Balls conversion bearing kit

Or

My favorite way, just swap the steering stems.

I've done em both ways, and both work out very good. You'll need the front brake caliper and disc cover from the newer bike, as well as the wheel spacers and axle
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

You know, it's kinda funny how the steering stem thing is.
I used to buddy with a guy that had hundreds of vintage bikes and a shop full of equipment, until it burned up.
He always searched for these forks and those to fit what he needed because all the vintage bikes had skinny forks.
One day he was pondering what to do about a certain bike and I knew to just press the old stem out and the one he needed back in but I thought it was something he would have already thought of and I would be preaching to the choir so to speak.
So, I couldn't hold it anymore and spoke up.
He looked at me like I was an oracle or something.
Funny how some things just escape our reasoning even though it's quite obvious.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

Tharrell wrote:You know, it's kinda funny how the steering stem thing is.
I used to buddy with a guy that had hundreds of vintage bikes and a shop full of equipment, until it burned up.
He always searched for these forks and those to fit what he needed because all the vintage bikes had skinny forks.
One day he was pondering what to do about a certain bike and I knew to just press the old stem out and the one he needed back in but I thought it was something he would have already thought of and I would be preaching to the choir so to speak.
So, I couldn't hold it anymore and spoke up.
He looked at me like I was an oracle or something.
Funny how some things just escape our reasoning even though it's quite obvious.
True, but in order to make the job complete, you also need to do a little welding to the steering stop on the frame, lengthen both sides a touch
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

That may be true and I can see it but, on the vintage bikes it was just a straight swap usually.
Very rarely the stem would be a tad too long and would have to be shimmed.
All my '74 YZ125's had 28mm forks, I swapped 34mm clamps stems and all.
The particular time I was referring to with my friend happened when he was trying to put 37mm forks on a vintage bike, truly an odd size.
It was fun to school someone who thought he knew everything.
Ever meet anyone like that? It was fun.
He screwed me after the fire and didn't cover any of my bikes that burnt.
Kind of an asshole looking back.